To recline the seat or not? One of the great debates of flying

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

To recline the seat or not? One of the great debates of flying

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Man filmed after allegedly punching woman's reclined seat: Who is in the wrong?

In the red corner - the recliners. You've paid for your seat; it is designed to recline after all, so push the button as soon as you hit cruising altitude.

In the blue corner - the never-recliners. You are invading your fellow passenger's space, which, of course, is already extremely limited.

Through the years an uneasy balance has been struck (at least ask if you want to recline, put your seat back upright at mealtimes), but sometimes the fight boils over.

On a recent American Airlines flight in the US, one passenger decided to shame a fellow flyer who "punched" and pushed her seat after she reclined it.

"After much consideration, and exhausting every opportunity for #AmericanAirlines to do the right thing, I've decided to share my assault, from the passenger behind me, and the further threats, from an American Airline flight attendant," a user named Wendi Williams wrote on Twitter last week.

What turned up the heat, even more, was what happened next. Williams said a flight attendant then offered him a rum, and then threatened her with further action on landing.

"I'm in pain," wrote Williams. "I have one cervical disk left that isn't fused – the first one which allows me some mobility. It's scary because it's this kind of injury that could do it in. I am grateful for the limited movement I still have and shouldn't have had to endure repeated blows," tweeted Williams.

"When the Flight [attendant] came. She rolled her eyes at me and said, "What?" She then told him it was tight back there and gave him rum! She told me I had to delete the video! It's against the law to video on a plane. I asked her name & She gave me a Passenger Disturbance Notice!"

Who is in the right here?

Full story: https://www.traveller.com.au/man-filmed ... ong-h1lt1a
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: To recline the seat or not? One of the great debates of flying

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Reclining is permitted, do the reclines eats really invade much space? I think both of those people in the video are jackasses
1) The guy can still watch his video, don't see how the seat is disturbing him besides him being a little bitch
2) The woman is really pushing it "I am grateful for the limited movement I still have and shouldn't have had to endure repeated blows" "punched it 9 times - HARD." I wonder if she needed an ambulance upon landing. I hope she pulls through. The poor lady wanted a relaxing flight, not an MMA match
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Blue corner. But life is too short.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I think a bit of discretion is needed. Nobody enjoys being packed in like sardines in the tin* at 40,000 feet. You should be careful in those circumstances of making any awkward moves. Of course passengers are going to want to recline at some stage, but there is no need to suddenly slam it back, for example. I've rarely seen any bad behavior on any intercontinental flights, it seems to happen more on short hauls and holiday trips to the Med or whatever. I hate flying but not anything like as much as I hate traveling on the national routes here in a coach. 8-)

[/b]*

Last edited by John Bingham on Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I'm of the 'sit up straight or lie down' brigade. This half and half measure pleases no-one. If you recline, all you're doing is confusing yourself. Your body wants to lie down flat but your brain is telling you no. All you end up doing is gradually sliding your arse off the end of the seat with your underwear gradually becoming tighter and tighter around your parts so you try to curl yourself up into a ball but the seat is nowhere near wide enough and you just end up questioning your own existence.

That being said, the seats are designed to reclined, so by virtue of that, I wouldn't make a fuss if someone ahead of me decided to recline. I'd just question their reason for doing so. It serves no purpose as far as I'm concerned and is a classic example of 'just because something can be done...' We both know they're more uncomfortable but they've somehow convinced themselves that just because they can recline, it must be somehow more comfortable. Why else would the airline allow them to do it? Rather than listen to their ever stretching, razor blade-esq pantie liners / ever tightening sperm-reducing boxer shorts.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Can use a knee defender, but things can get out of hand.
https://www.core77.com/posts/27536/plan ... tion-27536
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

Tad childish imo... What happened to asking if they mind raising the seat a tad.. lady has the right to recline but i guess civility doesnt exist any mo
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

dpeends on the plane, the numbe rof seats and the size. I hate twats who refuse to sit upright at meal times. that can be tricky
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

He's angry because he got the last seat, back to the wall.
Someone had to get fucked, and learn to move on. He's a whiny little bitch for sure.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

this guy knows the best way to sit down and travel the planet

"these trips have left me feeling joyful, cheerful, healthy and full of energy"
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic