Krispy Kreme expands to Cambodia

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Flynn
Expatriate
United States of America

Krispy Kreme expands to Cambodia

Post by Flynn »

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Inc. is expanding its reach in Southeast Asia announcing Monday a franchisee agreement to open 10 shops in Cambodia over five years.

The agreement is with Express Food Group Co. Ltd. of Bangkok, Thailand. The franchisee was founded in 2004 and operates as an affiliate of RMA Group.

Express has more than 1,200 workers at its 42 restaurants in the quick service and casual restaurant categories. It also operates 15 food and beverage outlets in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap international airports.

“This agreement will further strengthen Krispy Kreme’s brand position throughout,” said Dan Beem, Krispy Kreme’s president of its international division.

“One of the keys to the success of Krispy Kreme in any country is working with top-quality franchisees, and EFG is an experienced company dedicated to delivering an exceptional customer experience.”

Jean-Boris Roux, regional director of RMA Group’s food division, said Express “has always been determined to bring strong leading brands to this country.”

“We are confident Cambodians will quickly embrace Krispy Kreme’s signature sweet treats and the entire Krispy Kreme experience.”

Krispy Kreme’s international shop presence is in Australia, Bahrain, Canada, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Indonesia, Japan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mexico, the Philippines, Russia, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and the United Kingdom. The company also has a franchisee in Puerto Rico, a U.S. commonwealth.

Krispy Kreme said in February it reached the 1,000-shop milestone, including more than 700 international shops.

The company projects a net gain of 20 to 35 domestic shops during fiscal 2016, which began Feb. 1, and a comparable growth rate for several years. The international growth spurt is estimated at a net annual gain of 95 to 110 shops.

Management previously stated a goal of having more than 900 international and 400 domestic shops by the end of fiscal 2017.

http://www.journalnow.com/business/busi ... 0e166.html
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Krispy Kreme expands to Cambodia

Post by phuketrichard »

one of the main reasons i love flying via Dan Meung airport not that other big one
but they are not cheap $1 ++ for a donut
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Interesting. There were several, large Krispy Kreme donut shops around my current neighborhood in the US. They all went out of business several years ago. Even the much-maligned fat Americans take a pass on that overly sweet goo and bad coffee. I predict they don't last 5 years there.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

phuketrichard wrote:one of the main reasons i love flying via Dan Meung airport not that other big one
but they are not cheap $1 ++ for a donut

I don't know how anyone can love flying via Don Muang airport. It's a cattle herd with crowds, lines, screaming kids, long bus rides from the boarding gates to the plane. Suvarnabhumi has silly long walks to immigration but otherwise it's much more civilized.
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

^^^^^ Yeah, I'd rather have Dunkin. They're coffee rocks. What's with Khmer and donuts anyway ? it seems like they own all the shops in Cal. Here's a good article: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/7days/stor ... ghnut-king
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Soi Dog wrote:Interesting. There were several, large Krispy Kreme donut shops around my current neighborhood in the US. They all went out of business several years ago. Even the much-maligned fat Americans take a pass on that overly sweet goo and bad coffee. I predict they don't last 5 years there.
Same here. Though I suppose it's not surprising that they're trying to survive/replace the US market with an overseas one. I honestly predict them doing well here. KFC virtually disappeared from where I'm originally from over the past 10-15 years. Krispy Kream entered the market late (with two big well-established players already there) and quickly disappeared. I suspect they'll actually do well here. Cambodians are hungry for anything new and different, especially if it comes from overseas. Stuff that has been out of style in the west for years can thrive here for the sole reason that it comes from abroad and offers a new product (and an organized/efficient way) in a trendy setting. They might have trouble if 1$/donut, but I can imagine them being very successful here if they play their cards right.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

In my recent trip to OZ I found them there. This American loves them and when I lived in the US my local shop was doing a booming business and still is.

BTW/ While passing through the KL/Airasia airport/shopping-mall, I found a Popeye's Chicken outlet at the terminal. (there are 11 in Singapore.) Love Popeye's chicken, the spicy mash&gravy and the red beans n' rice. Makes Kentucky Fried Rat (KFC) look like what it is (crap!)

Now if someone would open a Famous Dave's Bar-B-Q outlet in Cambo I'd be in heaven. I'd even travel the Highway-to-Hell (#4) to the dirt-hole of PP for that.

When I traveled through PP on my way to OZ I noticed that they are building an overpass in front of Mike's Burger. Hop it doesn't drive him out of business as his burger/fries are head and shoulders above Burger-King.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Sailorman wrote:When I traveled through PP on my way to OZ I noticed that they are building an overpass in front of Mike's Burger. Hop it doesn't drive him out of business as his burger/fries are head and shoulders above Burger-King.
He's moving back along Russian Bvd towards Monivong a few hundred metres.

Edit: I'm told he has some interesting silent partners that keep him ahead of the game.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

Soi Dog wrote:Interesting. There were several, large Krispy Kreme donut shops around my current neighborhood in the US. They all went out of business several years ago. Even the much-maligned fat Americans take a pass on that overly sweet goo and bad coffee. I predict they don't last 5 years there.
you're basing this on American shops going out of business? Since when do Asians NOT like sweet things? The first shop they opened in Bangkok was LINES for hours for about six months. People were paying others to wait in line for them. It was amazing to me. Yeah, the one near me (had been there decades, but was a bit large as it was an OLD facility) went out of biz and got flattened. In it's place? Dairy Queen. So much for the theory of big sweet takin it in the shorts.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:
Same here. Though I suppose it's not surprising that they're trying to survive/replace the US market with an overseas one. I honestly predict them doing well here. KFC virtually disappeared from where I'm originally from over the past 10-15 years. Krispy Kream entered the market late (with two big well-established players already there) and quickly disappeared. I suspect they'll actually do well here. Cambodians are hungry for anything new and different, especially if it comes from overseas. Stuff that has been out of style in the west for years can thrive here for the sole reason that it comes from abroad and offers a new product (and an organized/efficient way) in a trendy setting. They might have trouble if 1$/donut, but I can imagine them being very successful here if they play their cards right.
You can tell the folks that haven't been to america ever/in a while. They're failing here not because american's don't want good donuts... but because more of these hip "super donut" places are pushing them out. Bigger, more gratuitous, donuts for $4-5 each.

Stuff like these:
(yeah... that's filled with chili and topped with hashbrowns and a fried egg...)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic