American fast food burger joint arrives

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

American fast food burger joint arrives

Post by phuketrichard »

Not as good as In & Out but.....will put mikes burger to shame

Now all ya need is taco bell and Arbys

California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh.
The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame, signature sandwiches, fresh-cut salads and more”, it said in a press release as it gears up for its Wednesday debut at a Tela petrol station in Tuol Kork district.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/lifestyle ... ZFryRWBeTs
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: American fast food burger joint arrives

Post by Anchor Moy »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:14 pm Not as good as In & Out but.....will put mikes burger to shame

California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh.
The Habit is “renowned for its award-winning Charburgers grilled over an open flame, signature sandwiches, fresh-cut salads and more”, it said in a press release as it gears up for its Wednesday debut at a Tela petrol station in Tuol Kork district.

Why is this good news ? So that Cambodians can have the same health problems (obesity, diabetes etc) as the US/western countries ?
Sorry, but I just don't see the point. I like hamburgers too , but how hard is it to make a hamburger at home ?
I admit that I'm a joy-killer, (sorry for that), but fast food is killing people. It's making Asians fat and sick.
What positive aspects does access to US fast food bring to Cambodia ?
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:34 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:14 pm Not as good as In & Out but.....will put mikes burger to shame

. It's making Asians fat and sick.
And the palm.oil they drown most things in, isnt?
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Why is this good news ? So that Cambodians can have the same health problems (obesity, diabetes etc) as the US/western countries ?
Sorry, but I just don't see the point. I like hamburgers too , but how hard is it to make a hamburger at home ?
I admit that I'm a joy-killer, (sorry for that), but fast food is killing people. It's making Asians fat and sick.
I tend to agree. Even in my short time here I have noticed that waistlines are slowly creeping up, mostly, and sadly, in children. The number of overweight Khmer kids I see nowadays is heartbreaking.

However, I also believe that people should be free to make their own choices. Who are we to tell people what they can and cannot eat? There has to be an element of personal responsibility - in the case of the kids that should come from the parents. Fast food is perfectly fine as an occasional treat and most people treat it as such. Why should they be denied their occasional western delicacy just because some people can't control themselves?

Do we ban alcohol just because alcoholics exist?
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

This is the modern world, there have been burgers and other foreign foods available for as long as I can remember here. Sure, eating fast-food all the time is unhealthy but how many local people are going to do that? Most will continue with their normal diet and then go out for the odd burger or pizza as a treat.

Not necessarily the outcome. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:34 pm It's making Asians fat and sick.
Huzzah!!!

I love my svelte Khmer beauties...........stay back you hydrogenated fatty acid filled fast food fiends.

less this:

and more this:

on a side note....I do plan on visiting myself to gorge on a mouth watering charbroiled double patty taste bud tingler.
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:14 pm
California-based The Habit Burger Grill restaurant chain is all set to serve up a delicious array of charbroiled burgers and sides at its newest international location in the centre of Phnom Penh..., it said in a press release as it gears up for its Wednesday debut at a Tela petrol station in Tuol Kork district.
Sounds classy as heck... :color
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

jobs to get out of poverty?
work is for people who cant find truffles
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

xandreu wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:45 pm

I tend to agree. Even in my short time here I have noticed that waistlines are slowly creeping up, mostly, and sadly, in children. The number of overweight Khmer kids I see nowadays is heartbreaking.

However, I also believe that people should be free to make their own choices. Who are we to tell people what they can and cannot eat? There has to be an element of personal responsibility - in the case of the kids that should come from the parents. Fast food is perfectly fine as an occasional treat and most people treat it as such. Why should they be denied their occasional western delicacy just because some people can't control themselves?

Do we ban alcohol just because alcoholics exist?
Nope, but we ban it (alcohol) for kids, because it's not good for them, and they are supposed to be too young to decide for themselves.

Ok, no lecture. I consider fast food as poisonous as cigarettes and alcohol. But I smoke, drink alcohol, and eat fast foods - all in moderation - that's a choice I make as an adult.
When I look at child obesity rates in western countries, I just don't think that more fast food possibilities is a great thing for Cambodia and especially for the kids. :shrug: That's my opinion.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

You only need to look at how much fatter the Thais are from five years ago.
Fast food franchises and malls ,all big cities are becoming the same sadly.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic