Let’s go to MAKRO

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Let’s go to MAKRO

Post by newkidontheblock »

With the one free day that isn’t full of Buddhist chanting, loud music, uncomfortable clothes, in the tourist mecca of Siem Reap, the family decided where to have a day trip. Was it to see Angkor Wat or the many temples? Nope. Was it to go to Phnom Kulen, and play in the waterfall? Nope. Was it to go to Tonle Sap and spend an idyllic day in the floating village with older brother as a personal tour guide? Nope! The ideal family outing destination was MAKRO!

MAKRO is a Thai chain of warehouse shopping, similar to BJ’s, Costco, Sam’s Club. There is a branch in Sen Sok. The tourist attraction for locals in the one in Siem Reap city.

Located off of National Road 6. It seems bigger than it’s Phnom Penh brethren. Or at least the parking lot seemed so.

Or maybe just a lot emptier.

On the inside, there is a much bigger mini-mall, not just CP fried chicken and hot dog stand.

Lots of variety.

Plenty to eat and shop.

And the price seems the same as AEON or other places.

Easy access to money.

A lot of shops. Just look at the WIFI spots.

On the inside, it’s a MAKRO.

The family came for the seafood shopping. For a final feast.

Cute baby not for sale.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Let’s go to MAKRO

Post by Duncan »

Cute baby not for sale.

OK. I can understand that, but were there any other smaller models available . I guess I should look on the shelves in the baby goods section ?
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

The Makro here in Sisaket always has Lao and Cambodian plated cars in the parking lot. For the life of me, I don t understand why they don t stock their shelves overnight, it seems that always an aisle or two are closed for forklifts. Good liquor selection ( for Thailand) and far better meats, imported foods and vegetables than either Big C or Tesco/Lotus.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Has anyone been to the one in Phnom Penh? Is it any good?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

A friend and I went to the PP one recently and we both thought it was a waste of time.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:14 pm A friend and I went to the PP one recently and we both thought it was a waste of time.
someone else I know were not impressed. It's such a trek from where I am otherwise I might have a mooch around it.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:26 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:14 pm A friend and I went to the PP one recently and we both thought it was a waste of time.
someone else I know were not impressed. It's such a trek from where I am otherwise I might have a mooch around it.
Well you have the Aeon II and a few other things not far from it now so worth a trip just once to see all of the weird development going on out there.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:36 pm With the one free day that isn’t full of Buddhist chanting, loud music, uncomfortable clothes, in the tourist mecca of Siem Reap, the family decided where to have a day trip. Was it to see Angkor Wat or the many temples? Nope. Was it to go to Phnom Kulen, and play in the waterfall? Nope. Was it to go to Tonle Sap and spend an idyllic day in the floating village with older brother as a personal tour guide? Nope! The ideal family outing destination was MAKRO!

MAKRO is a Thai chain of warehouse shopping, similar to BJ’s, Costco, Sam’s Club. There is a branch in Sen Sok. The tourist attraction for locals in the one in Siem Reap city.
that looks very quiet, I guess it was as you say over the holidays. I went out of curiosity when up with family a while ago, found that it was a mixed bag, certainly good if you have a big family or a business with the value packs of everything. I felt veg was a poor selection although had some incredible avocados of less than I'd pay in the market. Meat section was also good although I wasn't overly convinced of the big metal trays of chicken out in the open. I read a few days later that someone reported the chicken was practically walking out the door it was so off.

Good for novelty and a big family event but not sure it would be a regular stop, also seemed to be full of a couple of tour groups of chinese, from Angkor Wat to the mecca of Makro
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:38 pm
Doc67 wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:26 pm
Well you have the Aeon II and a few other things not far from it now so worth a trip just once to see all of the weird development going on out there.
I've never been up that way, maybe a trek is called for...
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Makro sucks. It's nothing like Costco or Sam's club. Some products are actually more expensive at Makro than at Super Duper or Thai Huot. Complete waste of time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic