An institution: Decades on, PP’s Russian eatery still going strong

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

An institution: Decades on, PP’s Russian eatery still going strong

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

A selection of authentic Russian dishes available at Irina’s. Yousos Apdoulsrashim. Image PPP

Soung Sovanny
28 June 2019

Before her country declared independence from the Soviet Union in 1991, Irina Godlevskaya and her family from Tashkent, Uzbekistan had had enough of their lives in Central Asia’s most populous country.

"Convinced, in 1990 she and her family uprooted and began their new lives 5,000km away in Southeast Asia.They brought with them the taste and traditions of their motherland, opening Irina’s Russian Restaurant in Phnom Penh.Today, 66-year-old Irina, along with her husband and daughter, run among Basaac Lane’s longest established and best known restaurants. "

"“We decided that it was time to settle in a new place, hoping for a better life. We sold everything, we had to start our new life here in Cambodia, opening this restaurant on a small scale, starting with only four tables. At that time, I noticed that Chinese and Thai restaurants dominated the food industry, it was quite diverse here, yet there was no Russian restaurant.”

"The Embassy of the Russian Federation on Sothearos Boulevard was where Irina’s Russian Restaurant was first located.“Before, my restaurant was inside the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Cambodia. At that time, almost all of my patrons were Russian. Later, I relocated my restaurant for public accessibility, and I received patrons from different nationalities, including Cambodians,” Irina says. "

"“Every five years, there is a Russian chef who comes to teach our local chef here in Cambodia to improve their knowledge and skills about authentic Russian dishes,” Alisa says. "

Full https://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-life ... ing-strong
Dog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: An institution: Decades on, PP’s Russian eatery still going strong

Post by Dog »

It is still good after all these years. Decent vodka too. Not too expensive and a welcome change from other cuisines.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: An institution: Decades on, PP’s Russian eatery still going strong

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I'm in PP next week, quite fancy a borsht.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic