Steve’s steakhouse and Greek restaurant

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Steve’s steakhouse and Greek restaurant

Post by newkidontheblock »

Wanted Dim Sum emperors, but was informed by the security guard that it was closed (all of them) due to the King’s birthday.

Missus suggested steak. This place was closest.

Grand foyer entrance, free WiFi, nice bar, smallish seating area. As the name suggested, there was steak and Greek food.

As for the steaks, they had various cuts of Australian beef and American beef, including NY T-bone, all in the 20 dollar and up range. At the bottom of the steak listing, was regular steak. We chose regular steak.

Steak came with 2 sides, chose 2 order of steamed vegetables. Vegetables come garnished with peppercorn and served with a back pepper and lemon sauce (aka, the kind found in most Khmer BBQ places). Steak was ordered medium rare, but came out pretty raw in the center. Surprisingly, not super tough and chewy.

To satisfy the Greek side, ordered Soulvaki, otherwise known as a Gyro. A sandwich made from grilled pita break, with strips of marinated, roasted lamb, lettuce, grilled onions, and Taziki sauce. No photos, sorry. It was really good. The pita wrap was nicely grilled, lamb was good, the sauce was thick. Missus thought it tasted like Taiwan and hated it.

Also ordered Greek cabbage rolls (forgot the name).

Cabbage rolls stuffed with ground beef, rice, and spices with a sauce. Similar to the grape leaf rolls.

Total cost 25 dollars.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Steve’s steakhouse and Greek restaurant

Post by John Bingham »

It's a shame you didn't get a picture of the gyros, where I'm from they are called kebabs but they are the same thing. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Steve's Steakhouse has been around forever in various guises. I've never personally met the owner, many say he's a bit of a cunt, but the food in there has always been okay.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

Your missus sounds high maintenance.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

John Bingham wrote:It's a shame you didn't get a picture of the gyros, where I'm from they are called kebabs but they are the same thing. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Steve's Steakhouse has been around forever in various guises. I've never personally met the owner, many say he's a bit of a cunt, but the food in there has always been okay.
Sorry for lack of photo. I’ve had gyros kebabs slouvaki shwarma (all have different meanings for me) quite a few times.

Their gyro is near perfect for me. I would skip the steak and other Greek food and would go there just for them. Unless you don’t like Taiwan subway food (missus’ words).

What makes them so good to me? The pita bread isn’t super thick to conceal the taste of the ingredients. There isn’t a greasy texture, instead it’s crisp on the outside, soft and a little chewy on the inside. The ingredients inside aren’t dripping with juices and oil. Even the thick Taziki sauce isn’t runny. No mess at the bottom when I held it up to eat.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic