Cambodia's Craft Beers

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia's Craft Beers

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Brewing up nicely: Cambodia’s rapidly growing taste for craft beer
Following a global trend, the craft beer industry in Cambodia is growing at a rapid pace. Where has this newfound appreciation come from and why are companies choosing to launch there?
By ASEAN Today -
May 13, 2019

Craft beer can be a hard sell. How do you convince people used to paying US$1 or less for a pint of beer to fork out three or four times as much for something new and different?

In Cambodia, craft beer breweries are gradually winning people over. Craft beer first took hold as tourists and expats wanted similar beers to those available back home. Now, Cambodians are also ordering craft beers as new offerings come onto the market.

That market is growing rapidly. New companies are selling new beers to a thirsty new clientele. Between 2014 and 2018, the number of breweries rose from two to nine. There are now 12 brewpubs or microbreweries in Cambodia.

In full: https://www.aseantoday.com/2019/05/brew ... raft-beer/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
independencequarter
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Cambodia's Craft Beers

Post by independencequarter »

No support for the craft beer scene? :stir: :beer1:
NeverNude
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by NeverNude »

There aren’t enough tourists nor people (foreigners and Khmer alike), that make salaries high enough to sustain a $12 beer “scene.”

Of course that’s market research 101.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

NeverNude wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 3:49 pm There aren’t enough tourists nor people (foreigners and Khmer alike), that make salaries high enough to sustain a $12 beer “scene.”

Of course that’s market research 101.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mh. Places like Botanico and Hops have their own IPAs and Pale Ales. Around $5 a beer. Hiwimariari Hotel or whatever has got some craft beers too... $8 a beer :facepalm:
Tourists aren't trying to pay $5 for a beer in Cambodia. No one is actually. I'd rather pay $2 for an imported Leffe than $5 for a locally brewed and bland IPA.

There's that nasty ass shit called Munich: palm sugar based beer. It seems like it's taking off among the local population (the growing "middle class"). I don't think it will ever be successful among the tourists/ expat crowd. It's very sweet and kind of reminds me of that Smirnoff Ice thing :bad:

Terrible market research and unrealistic projections.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Hops is out of order and sells beer from Kingdom brewery nowadays. Laughable, I know.

Himawari isn't $8 a beer, they were closer to $3 last I went.

People pay $5 at Rosewood for example, add another couple and you've got yourself fancy award winning Bassac cocktails.

If you go to Botanico and you want to be depressed and cry just order their cold cuts plate. What a joke, it's the worst platter I've ever seen anywhere.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

Ha. I went to Hops once expecting something on par with Stone Brewery. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

Himawari? Was it $3 for a Hoegarden?

Botanico is kind of a joke as far as the food is concerned. I only drink beer there.

Long story short, Cambodia isn't ready for a craft beer scene.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Hops' sausage and sauerkraut has me coming back. Those cheese sausages and the party plate for sharing in particular. It's gassy but hella worth it.

Himawari $3 was for their Gold Angel and so forth selection.

I made the mistake of going to Botanico for dinner. Never again. Honestly for drinks why not go anywhere, they don't even have a view and it's mozzies everywhere.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

THIS ^
I'd rather pay $2 for an imported Leffe than $5 for a locally brewed and bland IPA.
Those craft beers are almost without exception IPA's and the like. I read somewhere once (cannot find back a source to quote) that IPA is a relatively easy beer to brew and most people who start brewing beer, begin with such a beer. It does not have to be clear like for example a pilsner and this is one of the reasons the margin of error between drinkable beer and dishwater is apparently smaller.

But give me a good triple like Karmeliet or St Feuillien instead any time, some supermarkets in PP have quite a few Belgian beers in stock for around the $2 mark.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/tripel-karmeliet/5368/
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Flexxman wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:18 pm

But give me a good triple like Karmeliet or St Feuillien instead any time, some supermarkets in PP have quite a few Belgian beers in stock for around the $2 mark.
Where's the best selection around PP?
independencequarter
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by independencequarter »

cautious colin wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:21 pm
Flexxman wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:18 pm

Where's the best selection around PP?
Without a doubt Embargo and The Box Office if you are looking for a variety of beers from different brewers.
Flexxman wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 7:18 pm THIS ^
I'd rather pay $2 for an imported Leffe than $5 for a locally brewed and bland IPA.
Those craft beers are almost without exception IPA's and the like. I read somewhere once (cannot find back a source to quote) that IPA is a relatively easy beer to brew and most people who start brewing beer, begin with such a beer. It does not have to be clear like for example a pilsner and this is one of the reasons the margin of error between drinkable beer and dishwater is apparently smaller.

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/tripel-karmeliet/5368/
Lagers are tricky to make for sure and you are right in that sense that the beer style is more sensitive to the balance of the hops and the malts. You are wrong about that the craft beers are only IPA:s though. Even from the Phnom Penh craft breweries you can find Lagers, Wits, Red ales, Smoked beers, porters, stouts, blondes, ginger beers, etc. etc.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic