Are 50 cent beer drinking..new post

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Are 50 cent beer drinking..new post

Post by one_dolla »

I was going to add this to the original but off topic post but its locked...

the place in question is closed for 2 days holiday right now .... that's how dire their business must be closing at the busiest period of the year.....
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: Are 50 cent beer drinking..new post

Post by hanno »

one_dolla wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:09 am I was going to add this to the original but off topic post but its locked...

the place in question is closed for 2 days holiday right now .... that's how dire their business must be closing at the busiest period of the year.....
Just the same poor business sense as selling 50-Cent beers.
Joker Poker
Expatriate

Post by Joker Poker »

I love 50c beers - they are to be enjoyed. I never understand going to a hole in the wall dive joint and paying $1 for the same beer. If I want A/C and a bit more privacy/atmosphere, no problem shelling out for the privilege, but most of the time I'll go to a dive joint.

We have a go-to place, but we almost always eat too, often 2 adults and 3 kids. Been friends with the owner for years and our youngest plays with his kid when we are there. It's a win for us and a win for them.

Even if it's just the wife and I initially just for a beer or 6, anyone who's ever hung out with Khmers knows that they can't look at a beer without food to nibble on.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

hanno wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:30 am
one_dolla wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:09 am I was going to add this to the original but off topic post but its locked...

Just the same poor business sense as selling 50-Cent beers.
no just tired and wanted a holiday with everyone else was the reason given...off there now for 50 cent coffee... :D
PhnomRon
Expatriate

Post by PhnomRon »

If your business earns a "profit" of 15 cents a can and sells nothing but fifty cans of beer a day, then there's an ongoing temptation to take the day off rather than keep the place open all day to make $7.50.
Apexisto
Expatriate
Finland

Post by Apexisto »

Wtf is the problem with 50 cents beers? The best here is to go to Minimart to buy some beer cans and drink outside before heading partying. Or better, a 2 dollar jug of beer. One dollar is fine too in more better establishments.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Apexisto wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:55 pm Wtf is the problem with 50 cents beers?
No problem really, I regularly drink 50 cent cans at my local mom & pop store, they even set up a table and chairs and give me a plastic glass and an endless supply of ice.
I drink the same 50 cent cans at home. However I rarely find myself in a bar where beers are that cheap, it's more often $1.50 up.
Furniture, rents, staff, and other overheads add up. How anyone can sell beer at a fraction above cost and think the whole business is sustainable is beyond me. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic