Kep and Kampot

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Kep and Kampot

Post by hanno »

A couple of months ago I participated in the Bokor Half Marathon and had the occasion to try a few restaurants, new and old. Following a few notes, not fully-blown reviews:

Rusty Keyhole:

Not my first visit to this establishment, the place to go to if I fancied an unhealthy, but great, breakfast.

This time it was for lunch and first impressions were not good: the whole place looks very run-down and could use both a lick of paint and some deep cleaning. This extends to the kitchen area of which one gets a good view when going to wash one’s hands.

Staff considerably outnumbered guests but whilst a couple were quite friendly, others were considerably less so and were more focused on getting some food in.

We ordered various burgers as well as Fajitas. Two of the burgers were declared as very good but the daughter complained about her meat. I tried and had to agree: it tasted totally off. The chips (freedom fries for our American friends) were a soggy mess and came out cold.

The meat for my was Fajitas very dry and pretty tasteless whilst the coleslaw was sweet enough to make my teeth ache.

Whilst the place is cheap and in a great location, it is way overrated in my humble opinion, especially with the plethora of choices that are available now.

Rikititkitavi:

Never mind the naff name, one of our favorites and we went back for seconds. Great settings, staff were very much on the ball and the food was pretty darn good. Couldn't really find much fault, I very much liked the Luk Lak I head and Missus and kids also proclaimed the food as very good, especially the "Saraman", a Khmer beef curry.

The clincher for me was the dessert, "Oma's apple pie" was out of this world.

Certainly a bit more expensive than other restaurants around but well worth the (small) premium.

The Fishmarket:

Obviously a quite new restaurant right by the river. Can't beat the location but a lot of the other things need improvement.

A fairly big restaurant but though it was not really hot, it was quite sweltering inside. I have no idea how they will manage, come March/April.

Service was generally poor. We were the only guests but food took forever, the children were served well after the adults (a big no-no) and they still couldn't figure out who had ordered what when the food finally did arrive.

The presentation was excellent but the food was generally tasteless; more effort on the preparation and less on the decoration might not be a bad idea.

Quite expensive, especially considering the level of service and taste.

Ellie's:

Only nipped in here for a smoothie and we couldn't wait to get out. The smoothie were not bad but this is full-on Hipster central with wall-to-wall bearded guys sporting American Apparel, lasses discussing the latest lactose-free, vegan flat white they had on a trip to India, and very high bullshit levels. Not my scene at all.

Knai Bang Chatt:

This one is in Kep. Disclaimer: I did not pay for my meal.

Not much to say: excellent food, venue, and service, as one would expect in a place of this category.

This would be my regular if I lived in Kampot/Kep and had the lose change. Service was attentive without being obnoxious and the food, especially the seafood was outstanding. They also have very good desserts.

I hope to review this one a little more in depth but we came here after the Half Marathon and a combination of fatigue and cold beers let me forget the small details.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Kep and Kampot

Post by cptrelentless »

I ate in the place next door to the Rusty Keyhole this wet season (October)? Was the busiest place in that part of Kampot, i.e. everywhere else was pretty empty. Did you get a look at the ribs? Are they worthy of the claim?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

cptrelentless wrote:I ate in the place next door to the Rusty Keyhole this wet season (October)? Was the busiest place in that part of Kampot, i.e. everywhere else was pretty empty. Did you get a look at the ribs? Are they worthy of the claim?
I passed the ribs as everyone on Tripadvisor complains about them. I saw the "ribs" being prepared and it was just a big lump of meat that seemed terribly overcooked.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

cptrelentless wrote:I ate in the place next door to the Rusty Keyhole this wet season (October)? Was the busiest place in that part of Kampot, i.e. everywhere else was pretty empty. Did you get a look at the ribs? Are they worthy of the claim?
had ribs there last August, never again... i found many of their items overpriced as was with the family so had many dishes.
Last edited by phuketrichard on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Should have dropped into 23. Really great food and well priced.

Agree on the fish market. Haven't eaten there, but service is lacking.

Max's or something like that? Great food
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

The food was pretty poor due to no chef, place to the left as you peer into their rusty keyhole. English guy
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

hasn't Kris moved to Kep?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Sad if true about the Rusty Keyhole. Like the fall of Victory Hill. Ribs was the signature dish, like Monkey Marks steaks.
Raybull
Expatriate

Post by Raybull »

Kris has strated up a new place, and Rusty just moved a couple blocks south and just up from the river I think.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

when i went ( July) Rusty was on a corner opposite the river
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic