Checking out Khmer food in Cambodia Town, Philadelphia

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Checking out Khmer food in Cambodia Town, Philadelphia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Restaurant review.
A worthy destination in the heart of Cambodia Town
Updated: May 11, 2018 — 3:01 AM EDT
It was a bitter flower salad, indeed, to learn about the closing this spring of Khmer Kitchen, my go-to spot for a funky fix of prah-hok kahteeh ground pork dip, bowls of bracing sour soups, and those marvelous curried mussels.
Within just a few years of its opening in 2012, the Neth family’s cheery corner BYOB had become a touchstone restaurant for the rising generation of an immigrant community and helped introduce the allure of Cambodian food in all its fragrant fermented spice to many Philadelphians who never knew Cambodia Town even existed.

The South Seventh Street corridor between Oregon and Snyder that was once a Jewish neighborhood has been a growing nexus for Cambodian refugees since the mid-1980s.
And nearly half the city’s estimated 18,000 Cambodians still live near that South Philadelphia strip, frequenting its older cafes — Heng Seng and New Phnom Penh — for steaming morning bowls of Phnom Penh noodle soup, shopping its produce markets for tiny eggplants and fermented prahok fish paste; visiting its dressmakers, salons, travel agents, and the little sidewalk grills that pop up in warm weather with grandmas tending to sizzling skewers of lemongrass-scented meats.

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists ... 80511.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Checking out Khmer food in Cambodia Town, Philadelphia

Post by BklynBoy »

I ate there last fall! It was surreal for me to eat,smell Cambodia while not in Cambodia. I think I met one of the nephews. A commenter on yelp said they are closing because of the grandparents
A shame no one in the family wanted to keep it running.
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic