Cocktail maestros are shaking up Phnom Penh’s bar scene

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Cocktail maestros are shaking up Phnom Penh’s bar scene

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

The Cambodian capital’s nightlife is changing from workaday to sophisticated. Tamara Hinson raises a stylish glass

I’m 37 storeys up, sipping cocktails as the sun slips away. At the bar — an illuminated, UFO-like oval — a couple snaps a selfie. It’s very Dubai, or possibly Bangkok. You definitely wouldn’t expect it from Phnom Penh.

Phnom Penh has long been known for its nightlife but not the sophisticated kind. Most visitors don’t make it past the tired bars lining the Tonlé Sap river.

Kiwi co-owner William Norbert-Munns has lived here for years. “The inspiration was our motorcycle workshop,” he reveals. “Steel, cement, timber, glass and mirrors — that industrial feel.”

Head bartender Pok Pisal’s arsenal of ingredients includes Kampot pepper, lemongrass and homemade bitters. His love of the ancient city of Battambang inspired a cocktail based on gin infused with cinnamon grown there. The Phnom Neang Kong Rey gin and tonic contains the local citrus plant ma-om.

Full article https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/tr ... 15221.html
that genius
Expatriate
Sweden

Re: Cocktail maestros are shaking up Phnom Penh’s bar scene

Post by that genius »

It's beautiful and good luck, but for my part I avoid places like this.

Prefer slumming with locals or expats at less glitzy places better value

An example: Long After Dark, great food at reasonable prices, anything but beer (drinks) are stupid prices
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Sora at Rosewood is beautiful. I've been 2 or 3 times. Not for long, as I'm not earning the big bucks.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

200$ minimum spending for just sitting on the stupid sofa, :facepalm: drinks r good though
Money is not the problem, the problem is no money
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

violet wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:27 am Sora at Rosewood is beautiful. I've been 2 or 3 times. Not for long, as I'm not earning the big bucks.
The ramen at Iza is phenomenal. It tastes even better with the Japanese beer selection.
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

fax wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:37 am
violet wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:27 am Sora at Rosewood is beautiful. I've been 2 or 3 times. Not for long, as I'm not earning the big bucks.
The ramen at Iza is phenomenal. It tastes even better with the Japanese beer selection.
thanks for the tip, im a big ramen fan, will be there soon :beer3:
bolueeleh
Expatriate

Post by bolueeleh »

thanks @fax the tonkotsu ramen was the best i had tasted in KoW, the soup thick n flavourful that left a sticky feel on the lips (which is a very good sign)

the sashimi was excellent too, the mackeral was extremely fatty and sweet

will be going back whenever i hv the chance :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic