"Brew Cart" ripoff attempt

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

"Brew Cart" ripoff attempt

Post by Multipox »

The Brew Cart on street 19 just around the corner from 172.
The closest place to street 172 area where you can get a real espresso.

The waitress said 4 dollars, but this sounded funny. My bill was 3.62. I did the math in front of her with the menu. Then she said she meant that, if I gave her 4 dollars, she would give me the change.
I gave her a 20 dollar bill. She gave it to the owner, a woman, and brought back $15 and change. But 20.00-3.62 = 16.38.
I had to tell she owed me another dollar, which she brought.
She had now given me $16 and a 1000 riel bill.
Then I had to tell her that 1000 is .25. So she owed me another 500 riel to make it .38.
Which she brought.

The khmers are not bad at math. If they don't want to be.
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: "Brew Cart" ripoff attempt

Post by dron »

It can go the other way. I was in a bar on 172 few nights ago. My bill was $23. I paid with a $50. They brought me $77 in change. I corrected their mistake for them but it took them a while to figure out they gave me too much change.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

Sounds like a good way to "make" some money.
Which bar was it?
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Multipox wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:21 pm The Brew Cart on street 19 just around the corner from 172.
The closest place to street 172 area where you can get a real espresso.

The waitress said 4 dollars, but this sounded funny. My bill was 3.62. I did the math in front of her with the menu. Then she said she meant that, if I gave her 4 dollars, she would give me the change.
I gave her a 20 dollar bill. She gave it to the owner, a woman, and brought back $15 and change. But 20.00-3.62 = 16.38.
I had to tell she owed me another dollar, which she brought.
She had now given me $16 and a 1000 riel bill.
Then I had to tell her that 1000 is .25. So she owed me another 500 riel to make it .38.
Which she brought.

The khmers are not bad at math. If they don't want to be.
Did you tip?
David Stearn
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by David Stearn »

dron wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:23 pm It can go the other way. I was in a bar on 172 few nights ago. My bill was $23. I paid with a $50. They brought me $77 in change. I corrected their mistake for them but it took them a while to figure out they gave me too much change.
Good for you. I remember once sitting and trying to figure out how to pay a bill, with two currencies and the exchange, and with some travel related brain fog, was confusing myself. I looked over at the girls who were having a bit of a laugh and they asked me if I needed help. I refused, because I am stubborn and because I wanted to get this thing figured out going forward.
The Doctor will see you now.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

You're willing to pay $3.62 (that's a strange price) for a coffee in Cambodia, but you're worried about a few cents...just consider it a tip.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:51 pm You're willing to pay $3.62 (that's a strange price) for a coffee in Cambodia, but you're worried about a few cents...just consider it a tip.
I generally only drink coffee at home but when I was having a few days break in Sihanoukville I used to pay $1 for an espresso and $1.80 for a "press"which gave approximately two cups. $4 for an espresso from a cart, they really saw you coming there. :plus1:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Kuroneko wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:36 pm $4 for an espresso from a cart, they really saw you coming there. :plus1:
Fuck, I thought the bill was for a few items. That's ridiculous. Those carts can make all sorts of stuff and rarely does anything cost more than 6000 Riel.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
dron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by dron »

You can get a coffee in a shop with air conditioning for wifi for $2.
"The revolution did more than legally create the United States; it transformed American society... Far from remaining monarchical, hierarchy-ridden subjects on the margin of civilization, Americans had become, almost overnight, the most liberal, the most democratic, the most commercial minded, and the most modern people in the world." - Gordon S. Wood
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

dron wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:56 pm You can get a coffee in a shop with air conditioning for wifi for $2.
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/06cdf0a4-b ... 9fc2896356
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic