The Best and Worst Airline Food

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The Best and Worst Airline Food

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Eaten any good food on a plane recently ? Any airlines you want to recommend because they serve great food and quality wine in economy class ?

The best and worst airline food: a very frequent flyer's verdict
Nik Loukas
South China Morning Post
Mar 02, 2019
I'm sitting in economy class on an Air France flight from Paris to Singapore and eating a meal that doesn't look like it belongs here. Even the woman sitting next to me can't believe her eyes when she looks at what the cabin crew have delivered.

It's a meal that has been created by the famed Maison Lenôtre for Air France passengers in premium economy and economy class. A meal concept that allows passengers to "pimp" our meals and have our own premium gastronomic meal experience - even as you're packed in at the back of the plane.

The highlights of the meal were salmon panna cotta, Viennese chicken with piquillo chilli peppers, and a Maison Lenôtre pastry, chocolate hazelnut layered slice. Since 2012 I've been travelling around the globe to review airline food. Yes, I'm the guy sitting by the window trying to get the right shot to post it to my @inflightfeed Instagram page.
https://www.asiaone.com/travel/best-and ... rs-verdict
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: The Best and Worst Airline Food

Post by phuketrichard »

I ALWAYS order a meal in advance when i fly long distance. Much better than whatever they serve the general economy class and you get served first.
the Kosher meal I got on Cathay Pacific to the states last Oct. was excellent.
Since 2012 I've been travelling around the globe to review airline food.
what a job
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

Best I had was on Korean air; Bibimbap, but then again I like that. I'm not all that fussy.

China Eastern is dominating the market for flights, and their food is not fantastic, but edible, and fair enough for the price.

Cathay Pacific was the worst flight experience IMHO, although I cannot remember the food, I guess it was ok. Air Canada was also Shit.

Japan Air was also good, food and flight all around good experience.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Paulo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Paulo »

Best I had was China Airlines business class, no plastic tray, linen tablecloth, several courses on china, real cutlery and glassware. I returned the leg Taipei to PP in Economy. Trying to eat with elbows close to the body and remembering the good food. sniff sniff.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

:please: I get on a plane to get from A to B not to eat food.

I go to a restaurant to eat, not to travel.

I don't mix the two up.
Last edited by Duncan on Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Ricky Dunn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ricky Dunn »

Emirates to NY, A380 First Class, seven courses.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Ricky Dunn wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:30 pm Emirates to NY, A380 First Class, seven courses.
Lol. Very expensive restaurant.

In the less expensive section, ie. economy class, I'd vote for Air NZ - the food was good, can't remember what it was, but something a bit different. And we had a choice between a NZ merlot and a pinot noir - both were good, but I had a second bottle of the pinot noir so it was probably better. :mrgreen:

Air France also served some very tasty food, and real (French) champagne for the plebs. :thumb:

I dont fly for the food, but a good meal makes the time pass when you're on a longhaul. You can waste about two hours with pre-dinner drinks, food and wine, then some coffee and Armagnac.
RickyBobby
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by RickyBobby »

I have heard that if you order halal food, its better because its fresher and more carefully prepared.
"Dear Lord Baby Jesus, Lyin in a Manger"
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

About 10 years ago I flew from Bangkok to Ho Ci Min on Air France, in Biz class (or maybe it was first?) It was in the nosecone of a 747. Me and one other French Family only. Economy was like a zoo judging by the hoards of people at the gate; so glad I paid the extra.

Food and service was the best. It was like being on a flying Parisian bistro. Took off, got fed great food by beautiful Fench girl, then landed. The nicest flight I have ever taken.

I am not in the least bit surpised that Air France food is still exceptional...
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Apparently the reason the food served on airplanes is not so good is that it needs to be cooked, flash-chilled, stored for a while, moved around a bit and then reheated on board. For some reason all this causes a problem with taste and quality. Therefore the best way to get better food on planes is to choose cold dishes (where available).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic