The 'best' Cambodian Street food

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
whiteribbon
Expatriate
Cambodia

The 'best' Cambodian Street food

Post by whiteribbon »

An article by someone who has probably been here foR a week or 2.
https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/lif ... reet-food/
just noise, white noise
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: The 'best' Cambodian Street food

Post by xandreu »

The best Cambodian street food is the sort that remains unsold. Unsold to me at least.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

instagram marketing genius

monstra mihi bona!
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

You really need to know where you are going to buy any street food here. They have a picture of a Num Pang, and the average one of them you get around town is terrible.

What's up with those steamed buns as well, is that normal to split them open like that? 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

My gf always jokes those steamed buns use rat meat but she is not joking. She is quite partial to rat in the countryside.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I'd say that on average, as a rough guess, going on statistics alone that I've received from Khmer people in particular, coupled with taking into account those in the know, who's advice I truly appreciate, 100% of them tell me to just stay away from street food.

I can safely say that my bowel movements have largely remained unchanged since following this advice.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Fried bananas.
Early morning only - fresh cooked, fresh oil.

First buy one each, Cornetto classic chocolate, Cornetto classic vanilla.
Then 6 - 8 fried bananas
Race home - the bananas must be still warm, fresh and crunchy.

Tear each cornetto in three pieces, drop onto bananas
Fleck liberally with fresh ground Kampot black pepper
Throw on a few tiny rough clusters of Kep salt
Grin while eating.

Not sure this is purist street food, but it sure makes a great breakfast before a big day out in the heat.
(and your wife already knows you're a weirdo)
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:07 am My gf always jokes those steamed buns use rat meat but she is not joking. She is quite partial to rat in the countryside.
I always thought those steamed buns smelled kind of like urine once you got inside them a ways. Also, the deep-fried churros-like pastries often smelled like ammonia too. They're only good when they're fresh and hot. One day old, and they're soggy and disgusting.

Fried bananas are only good fresh too! as mentioned.

We always liked the steamed rice tubes stuffed with pork fat. Mmmmm! Happy Khmer NY food......

The steamed rice tubes are amazing sliced and then fried. Guilty pleasures.

Curry noodles in the morning, fresh squeezed orange juice.....chicken rice....pork rice...pickled anything on the side. Great big yes.

Rich chicken stew with Star Anise and oil, with big chunks of baquette to sop it up with....
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Ricky Dunn
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ricky Dunn »

Don't risk it. Eat nothing from Aeon Mall unless you quick boil it in a pot or microwave the shit out of it. Boil all your cut fruit and veggies, when you quick boil tomatoes, 5 seconds or so, you kill the fungus spores too, so they last forever in your refrigerator. If you have a serviced apartment, make sure the cleaning ladies wear surgical masks and after they leave wipe everything they touched with a Clorox solution. And then spray for Mozzies, 17 species in PP! The beer is safe however.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

If you are that paranoid why do you live here?
I don't eat street food but do buy a lot of products from the markets and cook. I do soak greens and was veggies before and after peeling and rarely get crook in the guts. That is probably just my curry.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic