Angkor Beer

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Angkor Beer

Post by chiltern »

Is it just me or has the taste of Angkor changed, I'm referring to bottles and cans not the draft which still tastes as if it has passed through the bladder of a sheep.

I know its a larger so is supposed to taste iffy but I allways found Angkor to have an artificial metallic taste not unlike Super Bok in Portugal, however recently I have found it has lost that edge.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Re: Angkor Beer

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

chiltern wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:43 pm Is it just me or has the taste of Angkor changed, I'm referring to bottles and cans not the draft which still tastes as if it has passed through the bladder of a sheep.

I know its a larger so is supposed to taste iffy but I allways found Angkor to have an artificial metallic taste not unlike Super Bok in Portugal, however recently I have found it has lost that edge.
As Mr Kim Angkor master brewer would tell it, always buy beer in glass bottles.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

chiltern wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:43 pm Is it just me or has the taste of Angkor changed, I'm referring to bottles and cans not the draft which still tastes as if it has passed through the bladder of a sheep.

Might have something to do with this:
"Ratanak said the new management will strengthen the market standing of all products produced by Cambrew, with a special focus on the iconic Angkor Premium Beer.
“We have ambitions to make Angkor Beer the best selling Cambodian beer in regional and international markets,” he said."
business-and-finance/carlsberg-the-stak ... 22297.html
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

It always tasted like shit. So maybe they improved it to the extent it now resembles weasle piss?
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Tastes alright from the small bottle, draft obviously varies fom place to place.
Always found that anchor had that nasty metallic aftertaste not angkor.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

It's the metal taste that puts me off Angkor cans. Their draft is what it is. I avoid bottles because of the glass recycling issue.
:roll: Drinking beer cans in Cambodia makes me ecologically friendly and also creates employment for can collectors. Lol.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:03 pm It's the metal taste that puts me off Angkor cans. Their draft is what it is. I avoid bottles because of the glass recycling issue.
:roll: Drinking beer cans in Cambodia makes me ecologically friendly and also creates employment for can collectors. Lol.
And you can win 2,000 Riel...
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

I found Angkor cans vary from tolerable to nasty. I switched to Cambodia and they're consistently drinkable at least.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

I normally avoid Angkor cans like the plague but recently it was all l could get in the countryside and was surprised that it was better than l remembered.
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

I hate to say this but i drink to get drunk and watever gets me there cheapest im game!!! I can taste the difference between ipas and lagers but the beers within each category tastes the same to me regardless of the brewery...

I lack the sophistication but as long as im drunk, im all goooood :beer2:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic