Bun Dau, or What's your Favorite Vietnamese Dish ?

Discussions about restaurants, cafes, coffee shops or bars in Cambodia. Feel free to write any reviews you have, whether its the best burger you've had in Phnom Penh or the worse pizza in Kampot, we want to read it! Discussions about Khmer dishes are also in here, or you can leave your own. If you own a restaurant, feel free to let the expat community know about it here so that we can come check it out. Found a favorite cafe or have a place we should avoid? Tell us about it. Asian recipes & questions are always welcome.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Bun Dau, or What's your Favorite Vietnamese Dish ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Lots of yummy Vietnamese food is available in Cambodia. What's your favorite dish from Vietnam ?

Savoury, but with a stench: Bun Dau lands in the capital
Roth Sochieata | Publication date 20 September 2020 | 21:23 ICT
A typical Bun Dau dish includes vermicelli, lettuce, cucumbers and herbs accompanied with proteins such as boiled meat, different varieties of pork and tofu. The tastiest bit of the dish, however, is the shrimp paste sauce (right of kumquats) which produces a foul odour. Yousos Apdoulrashim

Pho may be the most ubiquitous Vietnamese dish on offer throughout the world, but a local business is championing another beloved dish from across the border – Bun Dau – a meal which is immediately recognised by the pungent smell of its fermented shrimp paste.

In Vietnam, Bun Dau can be found everywhere, from street vendors in Hanoi to upmarket restaurants in Ho Chi Minh City. In 2017, CNN named it one of the county’s top 40 dishes.

It’s usually eaten without utensils, as assortments of ingredients are assembled by the customer in a lettuce wrap.

In Phnom Penh, the original Bun Dau flavour has been re-created by 28-year-old Cambodian Neth Sereyroth, a former private sector employee.

Sereyroth and her sister decided to open the restaurant after they visited the original Bun Dau eatery in Siem Reap. They loved the dish so much that they wanted to bring it to the nation’s capital.

“My sister was a customer at a Bun Dau eatery in Siem Reap. From her first taste, she loved it a whole lot and decided to open a restaurant. Together we have made Bun Dau available in Phnom Penh,” Sereyroth says.

The Bun Dau eatery in Siem Reap opened about a year ago and Sereyroth opened her branch of the restaurant in July.

“The franchisor came to teach us directly how to make the sauce formula and the green tea, another speciality from Vietnam which we also serve here,” she says.

Located on Street 128 in Phnom Penh, the small eatery features a cheery interior with bright wall accents. To ensure everyone’s safety and hygiene, the staff wear masks and plastic gloves in accordance with the new normal protocols.

There’s also a VIP room for private events big enough for a small family or a group of friends.

The actual Bun Dau dish is served in a winnowing basket filled with vermicelli, assorted vegetables, and different meats or protein-based sides.

These include crispy deep-fried tofu, boiled meat, cha com (green rice pork nuggets), crispy cha gio (spring rolls), nam chua (minced pork with taro) and braised pork offal.

Cucumber slices and fish mint are served on the side to be wrapped with the other ingredients in a fresh leaf of lettuce.

But the smelly shrimp paste, served in a small bowl, is the king of all the ingredients in this dish.

Diners can adjust the taste of the sauce to their preference by adding sugar and kumquats. When they get it just right, they can use it as a dipping sauce for the Bun Dau wrap.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/food-drin ... ds-capital
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
techietraveller84
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Bun Dau, or What's your Favorite Vietnamese Dish ?

Post by techietraveller84 »

My favorite Viet dish is always going to be bun... any kind really. This Bun Dao sounds like a really good one to add to my next order.
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Re: Bun Dau, or What's your Favorite Vietnamese Dish ?

Post by Khmu Nation »

I love Vietnamese food. I believe it to be among the best in the world. Some favorites include

Ban Xeo
Bun Bo Nam Bo
Bun Bo Hue
Nem Neung
Goi Cuon
Banh Khot
Ban Me
Bit Tet
Xoi Man
Xoi Ga
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic