Need a vaction< thailand is cheap now

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Need a vaction< thailand is cheap now

Post by phuketrichard »

BANGKOK: -- The continued strength of the US dollar and the weak gold price have led to the baht depreciating to a six-year low, trading at Bt34.84 to the greenback yesterday.

thank god i am paid in $$
"The external factor is driven by market speculation that the US Federal Reserve will hike its policy interest rate within this year based on the Fed's comments and recent positive US economic data while the price of gold has dropped below US$1,100 per ounce, which has led to increased demand for the precious metal and demand for the US dollar as well," she explained.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Need a vaction< thailand is cheap now

Post by kiwiincambodia »

I was there last weekend and got 33.5 to the $ so it has risen since then.

Still spent all my money even with the extra from the exchange rate.

Looking for that job
Expatriate

Post by Looking for that job »

:thumb:
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

6 consecutive posts with nothing but an emoticon. No wonder you have minus 10 karma.
PBR STREETGANG
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by PBR STREETGANG »

phuketrichard wrote:BANGKOK: -- The continued strength of the US dollar and the weak gold price have led to the baht depreciating to a six-year low, trading at Bt34.84 to the greenback yesterday.

thank god i am paid in $$
"The external factor is driven by market speculation that the US Federal Reserve will hike its policy interest rate within this year based on the Fed's comments and recent positive US economic data while the price of gold has dropped below US$1,100 per ounce, which has led to increased demand for the precious metal and demand for the US dollar as well," she explained.
I remember the economic crash of 1997 quite well. Hiring freezes leading to layoffs, expense accounts being scruntinized, food portions getting smaller: a general belt-tightening, if you will.

Then it was the IMF stepping in and all hell broke loose.

Economies go through cycles and it will be interesting to see what the Thais have learned over the past twenty years and how they respond to the darkening clouds on the horizon.
4000islandsguy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by 4000islandsguy »

One dollar is 35.826 Baht now.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

waiting, waiting,
when i brought land in 1998 it was at 48
but had been as low as 56

and when i moved here in 84 it was 22
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Sitting in the departure lounge at Heathrow, one of camera bags got pulled for a "thorough" search. I was waiting for them to pull out and question me about the amount of cash I was carrying, but they missed them lol. Happy to shift a bit at the current rate which is about 10% better than I planned
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

I'm headed to OZ in Nov. The exchange rate is now $.70au to $1.00us and its suppose to go to $.50.
snookie BRO
Expatriate
Solomon Islands

Post by snookie BRO »

OK, the Baht has weakened, but only slightly. Meanwhile the prices in Thailand are at an all time high.

I would say Thailand was cheap as in years ago when the Baht completely crashed, and costs were also cheap. Nowdays you can still have cheapish travels, as long as you watch your money, plan carefully. The good thing about Thailand is that flights to/from BKK can be very affordable, meaning the total trip costs can be very reasonable.
Rider of the storm.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic