Thai victims’ group warns of mass protests against ‘military’ government

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Thai victims’ group warns of mass protests against ‘military’ government

Post by phuketrichard »

a Voice of reason;
A support group for families of victims of Thailand’s 1992 political unrest says the kingdom’s deteriorating political and economic environment could turn into violent street protests like those in Hong Kong. Adul Khiewboriboon, chairman of the Committee of Relatives of the Black May 1992 Victims, says there are already warning signs and conditions are “almost ripe” for mass protests.

His warning came as anti-government activists met to organise what they call Run Against Dictatorship or Wing Lai Loong (“Run to oust the Uncle”), scheduled for January 12 next year.

Adul also warned Future Forward Party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit to “exercise caution” in opposing dictatorship. Thanathorn, removed as an MP last month over allegations of owning shares in a media company when he applied to run in the election, has spent recent days on the campaign trail.
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/politic ... government
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thai victims’ group warns of mass protests against ‘military’ government

Post by sigmoid »

Widely anticipated for the past several years, was just a matter of time... Seems like they could come up with some new strategies though. Street protwsts just give Apirat the excuse for another coup. :protest: :mob:

Anyway, glad I'm not there. :wave: :drooling bouncy:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

sigmoid wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:40 pm Widely anticipated for the past several years, was just a matter of time... Seems like they could come up with some new strategies though. Street protwsts just give Apirat the excuse for another coup. :protest: :mob:

We're glad you're not here as well. :facepalm:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:12 pm a Voice of reason;
A support group for families of victims of Thailand’s 1992 political unrest says the kingdom’s deteriorating political and economic environment could turn into violent street protests like those in Hong Kong. Adul Khiewboriboon, chairman of the Committee of Relatives of the Black May 1992 Victims, says there are already warning signs and conditions are “almost ripe” for mass protests.

His warning came as anti-government activists met to organise what they call Run Against Dictatorship or Wing Lai Loong (“Run to oust the Uncle”), scheduled for January 12 next year.

Adul also warned Future Forward Party leader Thanathorn Juangroongruangkit to “exercise caution” in opposing dictatorship. Thanathorn, removed as an MP last month over allegations of owning shares in a media company when he applied to run in the election, has spent recent days on the campaign trail.
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/politic ... government
also on 19th in Chaing Mai
see 'prayut losing his grip' thread
sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Unfortunately, those expats who choose to remain in the Kingdom of Thailand are providing their tacit support for and approval of the 'military' government.

Now is truly the time for all freedom-lovung farang to make the ultimate sacrifice and move to Cambodia asap. Demokrazy forever... :salut:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

sigmoid wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:18 pm Unfortunately, those expats who choose to remain in the Kingdom of Thailand are providing their tacit support for and approval of the 'military' government.

Now is truly the time for all freedom-lovung farang to make the ultimate sacrifice and move to Cambodia asap. Demokrazy forever... :salut:
seems the junta are getting worried about upcoming protests
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/113802 ... p-at-fcct/
adders28
Expatriate

Post by adders28 »

sigmoid wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:40 pm Widely anticipated for the past several years, was just a matter of time... Seems like they could come up with some new strategies though. Street protwsts just give Apirat the excuse for another coup. :protest: :mob:

People must remember every other coup was sanctioned by rama 9, its different now Vaj is hated as is apirat who is more dangerous than prayut, interesting times ahead
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

sigmoid wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:18 pm Unfortunately, those expats who choose to remain in the Kingdom of Thailand are providing their tacit support for and approval of the 'military' government.

Can't speak for anyone else but my remaining in Thailand is tacit support of warm weather, cold beer, beautiful accommodation, friendly locals, long-term friendships, and a generally laid back enjoyable and affordable lifestyle.

The politics, corruption, abuse of power and continual erosion of democracy has more of an effect on vote eligible Thais than me.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

this,
above :thumb:
might add in for me, being able to swim in the sea almost 350 days/year an great local food

PS: Thailand's 1st successful coup was way back in 1932, many years before Rama 9 was king
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

Yes Cambodia is a bastion of democracy where dissent and opposition is encouraged and flourishes.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic