Despite bombings and gunfire, illicit sex trade draws tourists to Thailand’s restive south.

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Despite bombings and gunfire, illicit sex trade draws tourists to Thailand’s restive south.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Image: CNA

By Pichayada Promchertchoo
13th July 2019

“We sell our beauty. The more beautiful you are, the more money you get.”

"Laila is a nighttime entertainer. She works at a popular club on a narrow lane in Betong - the beating heart of a regional sex trade that operates in one of the most dangerous territories in Southeast Asia."

"Thousands of shootings and bomb attacks have rocked the region since 2004, while hundreds of cases of arson have destroyed schools and homes."

"But like many other Thai towns, Betong has people in the industry who have worked out how to operate within these constraints."

"“It depends on how much they like the woman. Some rich customers want to show off their wealth. So, they spend US$640-US$960 on the tiara and cape for us. I feel wonderful every time I get those things. I feel like I’ve won a competition,” said Laila, who used to get US$3,200 in one night."

"“If our guests want women, I’ll call them from the houses for them to choose. There are about a dozen houses in Betong today. Some of them have 10-20 women, others 4-5," Chob said. "

"Inside, the pyjama party is in full swing. The air hangs heavy with the smell of cigarettes. Alcohol is everywhere. So are women in revealing nightclothes. Many of them are chatting to male customers, smiling and laughing in a light embrace. Others are up on a narrow stage, swaying to the deafening music. The room is pitch black save for the disco lights."

"Nobody knows how long the nighttime entertainment industry will continue to thrive in the border town. But for Laila, she does not want to be an adult entertainer for the rest of her life. She knows the time will come for her to leave the night scene and the good money she now makes."

Full https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/as ... y-11638052
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Despite bombings and gunfire, illicit sex trade draws tourists to Thailand’s restive south.

Post by ExPenhMan »

This story was well done.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic