‘Irishman’ nabbed after 11 year overstay in north-east Thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

‘Irishman’ nabbed after 11 year overstay in north-east Thailand

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

July 16, 2019
By The Thaiger

"Nakhon Ratchasima Immigration, along with local tourist police, have arrested an Irishman,Samuel Caleb Birch, who has been on an overstay of 4,192 days. That’s nearly 11 years and six months!"

"According to his visa, he arrived in Thailand through the Malaysia border at on January 17, 2008 on a 90 day tourist visa valid up to April 15, 2008. Despite the report from Naew Na saying he was Irish, ThaiVisa reported that he was actually from Taunton in Somerset, England and was married with a Thai wife and two young children."

"A GoFundMe account had been started for Samuel to raise funds to help him in his predicament but a search by The Thaiger this morning couldn’t turn up an account under the name “Samuel Caleb Birch” (or other variations of the name).

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/i ... t-thailand
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: ‘Irishman’ nabbed after 11 year overstay in north-east Thailand

Post by Clutch Cargo »

The pig head in the photo has been pasted on by Naew Na

To protect his identity or thai xenophobia?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Maybe his wife got sick of him and grassed him up. Quicker and cheaper than a divorce. Or am I being too cynical?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

He has a go fund me page to raise money for his fine (20,000 baht) and flight back to his country
He wont have to worry about coming back, sad for wife and kids, as he will be blacklisted for 5 years
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:50 pm He has a go fund me page to raise money for his fine (20,000 baht) and flight back to his country
He wont have to worry about coming back, sad for wife and kids, as he will be blacklisted for 5 years
10 year ban for 5-year overstay. He overstayed more than 11 years.

However, he got arrested, so:
For those who get arrested and prosecuted, a five-year ban will be imposed to foreigners who overstayed for one year and a 10-year ban for those who overstayed for more than a year.
Source: legal.co.th
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:04 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:50 pm He has a go fund me page to raise money for his fine (20,000 baht) and flight back to his country
10 year ban for 5-year overstay. He overstayed more than 11 years.

However, he got arrested, so:
For those who get arrested and prosecuted, a five-year ban will be imposed to foreigners who overstayed for one year and a 10-year ban for those who overstayed for more than a year.
Source: legal.co.th
LOL my bad, :popcorn:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

11 years undetected is some going. I'm still unsure how/why. He turned up 11 years ago, all bright-eyed and (probably) honest and 11 years later... It begs the question, what happened??
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Yerg wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:47 pm 11 years undetected is some going. I'm still unsure how/why. He turned up 11 years ago, all bright-eyed and (probably) honest and 11 years later... It begs the question, what happened??
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

I wonder why he won't pay his fine or for his flight back home ?
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

jaynewcastle wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:55 pm I wonder why he won't pay his fine or for his flight back home ?
Does it say he won't or that he can't? I'd argue that after 11 years of not paying and evading, it's more than likely that he can't than he won't. Not to worry, the delightful UK will bring him home and slide him straight on to various benefits in order to pay for his next trip.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic