No more visa runs for thai expats

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
SockPuppet
Expatriate
Honduras

No more visa runs for thai expats

Post by SockPuppet »

This appeared on thaivisa. Should we be expecting a new wave of expats arriving into Cambodia now?
Final crackdown for border runners - New strict Immigration regulation in force from today

BANGKOK: -- From today, foreign nationals residing in Thailand will no longer be able to exit and then re-enter the kingdom via a land border crossing in order to gain another 30 or 15 day stay in Thailand.

Thaivisa has been in contact with the Immigration Bureau who confirm the new regulation starts from today Saturday May 10, 2014.

This latest news follows reports from earlier in the week of an Immigration crackdown at the land border checkpoint in Ranong.

Non-Immigrant Visa or Tourist visa holders with remaining entries on their visa can exit and enter Thailand as before.

However, these new measures are targeting foreign visitors without a visa who are regularly entering and exiting the kingdom every 15 or 30 days as a way of extending their stay in Thailand.

From today visitors can only enter into Thailand via a land border once, after that they will be refused entry to the Kingdom and are advised to fly out and return with a visa obtained from a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in a neighbouring country or overseas.

The Immigration Bureau has also confirmed to Thaivisa.com that further restrictions are to be enforced from August 12, 2014.

It is understood that the new regulation is to prohibit back-to-back border runners who stay for an extended time in the country without a proper visa from a Consulate or Embassy abroad or an extension of stay granted by the Immigration Bureau in Thailand.

With regards to the new restrictions on land border crossing, which as mentioned above are effective as of today, a number of Thaivisa members have confirmed to us that these restrictions are being enforced at the Mae Sai border crossing in Chiang Rai province, with some members commenting they are stranded at the border unable to enter Thailand.

Keep up to date with the very latest from Mae Sai here.

The reports from Mae Sai have also been confirmed to us by Khun Tony, Managing Director of Puchlee Travel Company in Chiang Mai, who is a minibus service operator from Chiang Mai to the Mae Sai border.
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Re: No more visa runs for thai expats

Post by General Mackevili »

Just saw that on Facebook! Could be HUGE! ! (If they actually follow through this time.)

Sent from my Google Glasses using Tapatalk
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Prepare for the surge... Thailand makes border runs illegal.

Post by OrangeDragon »

Edit: merged and updated to kill off my post... because i posted without reading what others had, lol.

I think it's going to end up with us having a massive influx in s'ville from pattaya. and honestly, given the shitty high season we had down here we can actually use the cash (as a city).
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Yes, there are definite benefits to any visitors, and let's hope they don't get demonised just because of their origin/age/race. One day all of us will get old, karma comes around.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

I wonder how many Expats in Thailand will get stuck in Cambodia because they didn't know this had changed and made a visa run only to be told to fuck off when they went back.
SockPuppet
Expatriate
Honduras

Post by SockPuppet »

in the article it says they can enter through the land border once - so they should be alright for the first time since the regulation officially started
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes
Bosco
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Bosco »

I love Toyland but there is no way I'd put up with the shit they make people go through. If everyone said fuck that and just left there one day you can be sure that Toyland would be adopting Cambodian visa standards pronto.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

One of the main reasons I came here.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

until august 12th u can still do 3 visa exempt entries by land or air,
after that ur fucked;

I think its GOOD,get rid of the ones that cant get a real visa to remain or work here.

figure it affects less than .001% of those Farangs in Thailand. They are also clamping down on the ed visa as well

PS; anyone that thinks they thai's want people living/working there is living in a dream world
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ttr
Expatriate

Post by Ttr »

phuketrichard wrote:until august 12th u can still do 3 visa exempt entries by land or air,
after that ur fucked;
Not so Richard.

As usual the Thaivisa retards bring a lot of speculation, bullshit, and "holier than thou" attitudes to what is still an uncertain situation, you should ignore them.

The target expats in this clampdown are obviously those who do back-to-back same day out-in visa exempt entries to the Kingdom.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic