Riding from Cambodia to Thailand

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Riding from Cambodia to Thailand

Post by DaveG »

Hi all,

I'm getting conflicting information regarding the possibility of riding a motorbike from Cambodia to Thailand.

Is it still possible to cross the border ( Any border ) from Cambodia to Thailand with a motorbike with a Cambodian plate, obviously the card is not in my name as I can't register it as I'm a barang, some say Phsar Prum is a possibility, It's a long way to ride only to be turned back at the border.

Any information would be appreciated.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Riding from Cambodia to Thailand

Post by phuketrichard »

without it being in your name
i'd say, legally, nearly impossible
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:58 pm without it being in your name
Thanks for the quick reply, I thought that may be the case, It is a little frustrating though as I'v been told that the only way to get a bike in my name is to buy new, (About 7 grand ), they don't make it easy for us barangs do they, I have receipts from the bike shop for the purchase of the bike, UK licence, international permit, Cambodian licence and all the other documents, ffs it's a nightmare just getting things done over here.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

DaveG wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:07 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:58 pm without it being in your name
Thanks for the quick reply, I thought that may be the case, It is a little frustrating though as I'v been told that the only way to get a bike in my name is to buy new, (About 7 grand ), they don't make it easy for us barangs do they, I have receipts from the bike shop for the purchase of the bike, UK licence, international permit, Cambodian licence and all the other documents, ffs it's a nightmare just getting things done over here.
7 grand, jesus its supposed to be an adventure. You could do it easy on a 150. i think they were selling stallion 250's somehwere. made in thailand with chinese suzuki 250 engine but they have moved. i used to tramp pp, kk, pattaya on my old 250.
I do not think you can take bikes on toll roads in Thailand and you need an international driving permit now, so I am told
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Does the problem come when you exit Cambodia, or entering Thailand ? Or both ? Just curious.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:21 pm Does the problem come when you exit Cambodia, or entering Thailand ? Or both ? Just curious.
entering thailand. There is no paperwork for bikes wiht khmer plates leaving or entering Cambodia.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

DaveG wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:37 pm Hi all,

I'm getting conflicting information regarding the possibility of riding a motorbike from Cambodia to Thailand.

Is it still possible to cross the border ( Any border ) from Cambodia to Thailand with a motorbike with a Cambodian plate, obviously the card is not in my name as I can't register it as I'm a barang, some say Phsar Prum is a possibility, It's a long way to ride only to be turned back at the border.

Any information would be appreciated.
Double check it used to be brand new or just new to cambodia and not previously registered here. I bought mine straight of the boat from japan
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

Get a Vietnam bike then you can go anywhere. HCMC has some ok Kawasaki 350s. Gives you more power but don't look any bigger than other bikes and dont attract too much attention.
sklmeera
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by sklmeera »

hiway5 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:15 pm Get a Vietnam bike then you can go anywhere. HCMC has some ok Kawasaki 350s. Gives you more power but don't look any bigger than other bikes and dont attract too much attention.
But they cost about 10,000 usd new ! And a secondhand Vietnamese plated bike you will never get into Thailand with . Best buy new in Thailand Honda trail 250 is a great bike , about 5,000 usd new and you can use it all over SE Asian but not Vietnam or China .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic