the first full moon party

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
clippy
Expatriate

the first full moon party

Post by clippy »

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: the first full moon party

Post by phuketrichard »

god, what bullshit!!!
The first ever Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan was in October 1988 ......
First, we were doing Full Moon Parties on Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui, for about six months before that — maybe a year. I had a restaurant-bar on the beach and was the only farang [foreigner] with a business there at the time. We had a generator like all the other resorts, but it was only operational from about 6pm to 10 pm.
even wikipedia states 1985
The first Full Moon Party was improvised at a wooden disco not far from the beach in 1985, for giving thanks to about 20–30 travelers
I lived in samui in 1984 for 6 months and there were tons of farang run bars, bungalow, gh's all with electricity.

I have been living in Phuket since 1985 so do know what was going on in samui as i was back and forth alot in 88-89 working for a magazine.

i went to a full moon party in 1988 and it was nothing like the photo, there was very little there, maybe 1,000 people partying stayed at hat rin in a bungalow with generator over the water for 150 baht

Someone should write the author an time
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

phuketrichard wrote:god, what bullshit!!!
The first ever Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan was in October 1988 ......
First, we were doing Full Moon Parties on Chaweng Beach, Koh Samui, for about six months before that — maybe a year. I had a restaurant-bar on the beach and was the only farang [foreigner] with a business there at the time. We had a generator like all the other resorts, but it was only operational from about 6pm to 10 pm.
even wikipedia states 1985
The first Full Moon Party was improvised at a wooden disco not far from the beach in 1985, for giving thanks to about 20–30 travelers
I lived in samui in 1984 for 6 months and there were tons of farang run bars, bungalow, gh's all with electricity.

I have been living in Phuket since 1985 so do know what was going on in samui as i was back and forth alot in 88-89 working for a magazine.

i went to a full moon party in 1988 and it was nothing like the photo, there was very little there, maybe 1,000 people partying stayed at hat rin in a bungalow with generator over the water for 150 baht

Someone should write the author an time
Right, if he can remember it, he wasn't there. :D

I was in Koh Phangan before full moon parties and all that, and the only things there were the moon, the beach, a couple of bungalows and us. I seriously don't remember all that much but it was very very cool.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i was always under the impression that the first full moon party originated from about 20 odd backpackers celebrating someones birthday and the music was just a guy with his guitar
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue May 12, 2015 11:26 am i was always under the impression that the first full moon party originated from about 20 odd backpackers celebrating someones birthday and the music was just a guy with his guitar
I went to "full moon parties" in India that were like that. Fucking bongo players and didgeridoo and chilums and stupid counts with dreads talking shite about spirituality.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:18 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue May 12, 2015 11:26 am i was always under the impression that the first full moon party originated from about 20 odd backpackers celebrating someones birthday and the music was just a guy with his guitar
I went to "full moon parties" in India that were like that. Fucking bongo players and didgeridoo and chilums and stupid counts with dreads talking shite about spirituality.
haha how on earth did you come across this old thread :D
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
angsta
Expatriate
Congo

Post by angsta »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun May 03, 2015 10:05 am
i went to a full moon party in 1988 and it was nothing like the photo
I am pretty sure the photo is current. Does it say it is from 88??
AinC reels off an eloquent and thought provoking monologue adlib
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic