Expat Volunteers Denied Visas in Thai Work Permit Standoff

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Expat Volunteers Denied Visas in Thai Work Permit Standoff

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Expat volunteers in Chiang Mai denied visas in work permit standoff
2 August 2018
The head of two foundations in Chiang Mai has revealed to Thaivisa that a standoff between the new head of the Chiang Mai labor office and the city’s immigration department is causing trouble for up to a thousand foreigners who are volunteering at charities in the province.

Our source – who has asked not to be named – said that visas were not being issued because volunteers were being denied work permits.

He called it a standoff between the new head of the labor department and Chiang Mai immigration.

Thaivisa understands the labor department in Chiang Mai has not been issuing work permits for foreign volunteers, with immigration then saying “sorry, we can’t issue you visas as you don’t have a work permit”, said the source.

He said this was causing serious problems for long term non-immigrant “O” volunteers and charitable foundations and that as many as 1000 foreigners are affected.
http://www.samuitimes.com/expat-volunte ... -standoff/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Expat Volunteers Denied Visas in Thai Work Permit Standoff

Post by phuketrichard »

from thai visa along with comments form those that have nothing else to do but comment on every thread

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/10 ... -standoff/

and heres why there is so much trouble getting the visas, site telling you how to get the visa :plus1:
How to get a 1 year Non O Volunteer Visa/Work Permit.
Digital Nomads, Expats and Visitors that want to stay and live in Chiang Mai for 12 Months!
What if I was to tell you there is a way?

What if you could obtain (for around the same price as a 6 month education Visa), 1 year Non O Volunteer Visa and a Thai Work Permit? You can get the one year visa and work permit for a year for a total cost of 35,000 baht. No more hassle waiting 5 hours at immigration every 90 days for your Education Visa. No need to spend hours a week studying to ensure you pass the Immigration spot tests. And a whole year not just the new 6 months on the Ed Visa
https://chiangmaibuddy.com/1-year-non-o-volunteer-visa/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I was a bit surprised there was that many volunteers in Chiang Mai as Thailand doesn't have the self interest/perpetuating expat dependency industry Cambodia is burdened with, and then realised from Richards link it's due to the masses of legit visa dodging digital nomads that area has become home to because its cheap. Good on them for attempting to plug this loophole.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

For me toiling as a screw salesman in Thailand I have to have a work permit renewable each year (yes fucking Thais really want you to pay and pay) despite me working here for 14 years. As a matter of fact its up for renewal this month.

Anyway its always been like this when its time for renewal -

1. Go to Immigration Department to apply for visa renewal first, immigration after checking all papers will only visa valid for 1 month

2. Within the 1 month period go to Labour Department to renew your 1 year work permit

3. Once the 1 year work permit is granted its back to the Immigration to get the rest of the 11 months of visa.

Because I use an agent I have to "show face" at #1 above. #2 and #3 the agent do it for me.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

yong wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:29 am For me toiling as a screw salesman in Thailand I have to have a work permit renewable each year (yes fucking Thais really want you to pay and pay) despite me working here for 14 years. As a matter of fact its up for renewal this month.

Anyway its always been like this when its time for renewal -

1. Go to Immigration Department to apply for visa renewal first, immigration after checking all papers will only visa valid for 1 month

2. Within the 1 month period go to Labour Department to renew your 1 year work permit

3. Once the 1 year work permit is granted its back to the Immigration to get the rest of the 11 months of visa.

Because I use an agent I have to "show face" at #1 above. #2 and #3 the agent do it for me.
I was based in Rayong where I did mine, and although reasonably busy I’m glad I never had to do it at the main place in Bangkok. Bit daunting the first time as protocol seemed to dictate we had to have a personal sit down with the top man in his office, luckily I spotted he was a golfer so that managed to break the ice. Our company was a big employer locally which no doubt helped smooth the process. A retirement visa is a breeze these days.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

notoriously paranoid xenophobes considering all their culture is Khmer at the root
clear inferiority complex
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:52 am
yong wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:29 amI was based in Rayong where I did mine, and although reasonably busy I’m glad I never had to do it at the main place in Bangkok. Bit daunting the first time as protocol seemed to dictate we had to have a personal sit down with the top man in his office, luckily I spotted he was a golfer so that managed to break the ice. Our company was a big employer locally which no doubt helped smooth the process. A retirement visa is a breeze these days.
Company I work in is at Pathumthani so I go to the Immigration office there. Simpler and less crowded.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

yong wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:01 am
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:52 am
yong wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:29 amI was based in Rayong where I did mine, and although reasonably busy I’m glad I never had to do it at the main place in Bangkok. Bit daunting the first time as protocol seemed to dictate we had to have a personal sit down with the top man in his office, luckily I spotted he was a golfer so that managed to break the ice. Our company was a big employer locally which no doubt helped smooth the process. A retirement visa is a breeze these days.
Company I work in is at Pathumthani so I go to the Immigration office there. Simpler and less crowded.
Off topic : I see Bangkok Glass Football Club are changing their name next season to I think it is BG Pathumthani, maybe trying good to get more area identity and support. One of the most enjoyable stadiums to visit each year, very professional and the best match day meal deal Ive come across :D
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic