Is it Safe to Visit Thailand ?

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Is it Safe to Visit Thailand ?

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Is Thailand safe?
By Lizzie Porter, Travel writer, and Hugh Morris
29 April 2016 • 3:00pm
One of the most popular holiday destinations in south-east Asia, Thailand lures around 25 million travellers every year, including nearly a million Britons, thanks to its clear seas, white sand beaches, excellent diving and relaxed pace of life.

But the recent, brutal, unprovoked attack on a British family at the seaside resort of Hua Hin has cast a dark shadow over its tourism credentials.

The same doubts emerged in 2014 after the double murder of British backpackers David Miller and Hannah Witheridge – for which two Burmese workers were sentenced to death.

Indeed, a book published in the same year, entitled Thailand: Deadly Destination, labelled the country the world's most dangerous, citing "train, bus, ferry, speedboat, motorbike and car accidents, murders, knifings, unexplained deaths, numerous suicides, diving accidents, robberies gone wrong, anonymous bodies washing up on the shores and a string of alcohol- and drug-related incidents."

The Thai tourist board, as the video of the most recent attack spread around the world, moved to reassure visitors of the country's safety.

“The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) would like to express our deepest sorrow to the family who were subjected to the assault in Hua Hin during the Songkran celebrations,” the agency said in a statement.

“We hope that you recover from your injuries and make a swift and full recovery. TAT would like to assure international travellers that this was an isolated incident, not targeted on any group of foreign tourists in particular. The situation was exacerbated by alcohol.”

In its defence, the Foreign Office (FCO) supports its view of Thailand, declaring all but a small region in the south near the Malaysian border safe to visit. The FCO says that most British visits pass without incident, but "there have been attacks (sometimes violent)"...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... -Thailand/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Is it Safe to Visit Thailand ?

Post by phuketrichard »

its a safe ( or unsafe) as it always been; not more....not less
social media ( and ceo) thrive on bad news LOL
But the recent, brutal, unprovoked attack on a British family at the seaside resort of Hua Hin has cast a dark shadow over its tourism credentials.

The same doubts emerged in 2014 after the double murder of British backpackers David Miller and Hannah Witheridge – for which two Burmese workers were sentenced to death.
Two unrelated incidents out of 26 million ++ tourist
Yellow journalism, or the yellow press, is a type of journalism that uses eye-catching headlines to sell more newspapers.[1] Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Ricky Shaw
Expatriate
Djibouti

Post by Ricky Shaw »

NO. CAMBODIA NOT SAFE EITHER. GO HOME!
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Well with all the rape articles that are coming out lately, if I were a lone female traveler I would be extra careful about Cambodia at the moment, its almost getting to be like India.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:Is Thailand safe?
One of the most popular holiday destinations in south-east Asia, Thailand: labelled the country the world's most dangerous, citing "train, bus, ferry, speedboat, motorbike and car accidents, murders, knifings, unexplained deaths, numerous suicides, diving accidents, robberies gone wrong, anonymous bodies washing up on the shores and a string of alcohol- and drug-related incidents."
Sounds like my kind of destination!! Fuck Cambodia, Thailand sounds far more deadly, might have to give it another go, sounds fun! :thumb:
for which two Burmese workers were sentenced to death.

they were sentenced to death in the end?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:
One of the most popular holiday destinations in south-east Asia, Thailand: labelled the country the world's most dangerous, citing "train, bus, ferry, speedboat, motorbike and car accidents, murders, knifings, unexplained deaths, numerous suicides, diving accidents, robberies gone wrong, anonymous bodies washing up on the shores and a string of alcohol- and drug-related incidents."
Sounds like my kind of destination!! Fuck Cambodia, Thailand sounds far more deadly, might have to give it another go, sounds fun! :thumb:
for which two Burmese workers were sentenced to death.

they were sentenced to death in the end?
Yes, they were.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/d ... h-tourists
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Reuters also did an article on tourist safety in Thailand:
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thail ... SKCN0WV2P9

No matter how relative these incidents might be, they seem to be getting more press coverage. Is Thailand becoming more dangerous or are the tourists becoming more stupid ? Stupid, as in unaware, not taking proper care ?
Fourteen U.S. citizens died of unnatural causes in Thailand from January to June 2015, higher than the 11 who died in France, a top destination for U.S. tourists, according to U.S. State Department figures.

Thailand had the second-highest number of deaths of British nationals in 2014 after Spain, which is the top holiday spot for Britons, British Foreign Office figures show.
This made me laugh (sorry RIP etc):
"Elephants trampling on tourists and tourists having their legs cut off by speed boats, this won't happen any more," Surachet told Reuters, referring to two recent fatal accidents.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

I've been to Thailand countless times and mostly without issues. I always try to respect the local ways, and have almost always behaved myself.Thailand is probably comparably safe as many 1'st World countries (if you look at comparative tourist numbers and deaths), even though it isn't one itself. Mind you, it's all about being prepared, because if you don't understand the Thai ways, then you might accidentaly act in a manner that whilst OK in your home country, will lead you to possible serious problems in Thailand.

The first thing to realise is that many, (but not all Thai's), are friendly and easy going people, and it is often best to walk away from problems rather than get involved. Standing up to a Thai person agressively may cause them to 'lose face', and that is not gonna end well. It's the same old suggestions really; Don't rent Jetski's, Dont get too drunk, dont rent motorbikes unless you can afford to fix accidents, dont get involved in potential problems relating to lots of monetary investments, fights, illegal activities,etc, and you should be fine.

Don't become too complacent either:Keep eyes open, suss people out, Thailand still has it's dangers, the most common is being scammed. I think the biggest problem is that many Tourists forget that just because Thailand is often 'too' easy going, doesn't mean the problems will be. I think this is the point when people really learn quickly. :popcorn:
Last edited by shnoukieBRO on Sun May 15, 2016 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
CowshedCowboyRedux
Expatriate

Post by CowshedCowboyRedux »

I think the most dangerous aspect of visiting Thailand, as I see it from a living perspective, for any tourist not making the obvious mistake of pissing off the locals or putting themselves in the firing line by doing something stupid, is transportation. In comparison to other countries Thailand is more dangerous than most, I dont think that can be disputed. The traffic statistics are there for anyone to see, Thailand is ranked 4th in the world for road deaths. So if you're a tourist renting a bike or travelling in minibuses or tour buses it's dangerous. Maritime safety is appalling and tourists are right in the firing line there. Every week there are speedboat crashes or swimmers being hit on the short stretch between Pattaya and Koh Larn island. Boats sink on a fairly regular basis. A couple of months ago I was walking along Jomtien beach in the morning and right in front of me a girl in a parasail crashed into trees on landing, stetchered off and bundled in the back of an ambulance, no police nothing and the boat driver continued on as if nothing had happened. Forget the reported incidents, how many unreported incidents like that one.

When I was deciding my mode of transport for travelling round the country this year, other than driving myself, I decided the train would be the safest and best option. Since the in the last 2 months there have been 4 train crashes in the country all due to vehicles crossing the tracks in front of trains.

Any article or information that makes tourists aware of the reality is a good thing, because sure as shit the government or local authorities have no serious intention of addressing the issue.
Carmelita
Expatriate

Post by Carmelita »

One of the most popular holiday destinations in south-east Asia, Thailand lures around 25 million travellers every year, including nearly a million Britons, thanks to its clear seas, white sand beaches, excellent diving and relaxed pace of life.

Indeed, a book published in the same year, entitled Thailand: Deadly Destination, labelled the country the world's most dangerous, citing "train, bus, ferry, speedboat, motorbike and car accidents, murders, knifings, unexplained deaths, numerous suicides, diving accidents, robberies gone wrong, anonymous bodies washing up on the shores and a string of alcohol- and drug-related incidents."

The Thai tourist board, as the video of the most recent attack spread around the world, moved to reassure visitors of the country's safety.

“The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) would like to express our deepest sorrow to the family who were subjected to the assault in Hua Hin during the Songkran celebrations,” the agency said in a statement.

“We hope that you recover from your injuries and make a swift and full recovery. TAT would like to assure international travellers that this was an isolated incident, not targeted on any group of foreign tourists in particular. The situation was exacerbated by alcohol.”

In its defence, the Foreign Office (FCO) supports its view of Thailand, declaring all but a small region in the south near the Malaysian border safe to visit. The FCO says that most British visits pass without incident, but "there have been attacks (sometimes violent)"...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... -Thailand/
South east Asia is nothing like it used to be pre 2010 .
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic