Driving rental bikes in Chiang Mai

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
lordofmisrule
Expatriate
Great Britain

Driving rental bikes in Chiang Mai

Post by lordofmisrule »

What is the situation with driving rental bikes in Chiang Mai? Can you bribe the police if they stop you? I din't have a valid license, obviously that does not matter in Cam but here in Chiang Mai?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Driving rental bikes in Chiang Mai

Post by phuketrichard »

Bribe?
u will pay fines for no license, no registration ,no helmet etc when ur stopped
range from 300-500 baht
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

It used to be the cops were out only a couple times a month, stopping people and checking for proper international drivers licenses and wearing helmets. Now they're out 3-4 days a week in the Old City/Nimmaen area.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

so what? carry ur license,wear a helmet and u wont need pay a fine
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Gator
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Gator »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:40 pm so what? carry ur license,wear a helmet and u wont need pay a fine
Indeed, PR. I was just saying that the police are out all the time here now, so if you don't have said license you, for sure, will get stopped and fined. Quite possibly multiple times in a single week.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:40 pm so what? carry ur license,wear a helmet and u wont need pay a fine
yep, as you would do in any civilized country :thumb: its not hard to get an IDP and wear a helmet, dont give them an excuse
i was up Chiang Mai in December driving my mates Kawasaki around for a week, saw lots of Coppers around the old town but never got pulled over apart from only once,
my Sino passenger wasnt wearing a helmet, the fine was 400baht which i paid and she got given a ticket to which if we got pulled again she could just show that,
nothing unreasonable unlike the Sihanoukvillains lol
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

lordofmisrule wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:43 am What is the situation with driving rental bikes in Chiang Mai? Can you bribe the police if they stop you? I din't have a valid license, obviously that does not matter in Cam but here in Chiang Mai?
its not a bribe its a fine
no helmet 400 baht
no license 4-500 baht, cant remember if its gone up or not, used to be 400b
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
lordofmisrule
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by lordofmisrule »

Thanks guys, helped a lot, I went for it anyway even though no IDP with me, helmet etc was fine, did get stopped but just once, thanks again but now back t driving in Phnom Penh where I know the score.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic