Wrong Place, wrong time

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Wrong Place, wrong time

Post by phuketrichard »

talk about bad karma

Two Italian tourists have been killed after an oil truck’s brakes allegedly failed coming down a hill. The truck overturned and rolled onto the pair in Chumphon.

Workpoint News reports that the incident happened at an intersection in Paknam, Chumphon yesterday afternoon.

Emergency responders arrived to find the overturned oil truck lying on the road. Under the oil truck they found the bodies of the two foreigners along with their motorbike.
amazing video
https://thethaiger.com/news/south/itali ... X6TMidxlhk
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Wrong Place, wrong time

Post by Cinnamoncat »

That's horrible luck!

And a video of it? Unreal.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

If you watch the video, there is no doubt they would have seen the truck coming, and how fast it was going. They should have given way to the truck, and would still be alive.

When a truck collides with a motorbike, the truck always wins.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

Fuckin' A, that's unreal.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:14 pm If you watch the video, there is no doubt they would have seen the truck coming, and how fast it was going. They should have given way to the truck, and would still be alive.

I think you overlook the fact most people driving motorcycles in Thailand are:

1. inexperienced drivers, probably not even licensed for a moped
2. driving on the 'wrong' side of the road, used to driving on the right side of the road

Those two factors are a nasty combi when a quick assessment of the situation plus reaction are needed.

Add the speeding / failing truck to that and...... RIP.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:00 pmamazing video
Amazing is not necessarily a word I would have thought of to describe this shocking video.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:25 pm
explorer wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:14 pm If you watch the video, there is no doubt they would have seen the truck coming, and how fast it was going. They should have given way to the truck, and would still be alive.

I think you overlook the fact most people driving motorcycles in Thailand are:

1. inexperienced drivers, probably not even licensed for a moped
2. driving on the 'wrong' side of the road, used to driving on the right side of the road

Those two factors are a nasty combi when a quick assessment of the situation plus reaction are needed.

Add the speeding / failing truck to that and...... RIP.
1 true and obvious from video
2 Thai's drive on the correct side of the road along with other sensible countries. the rest of the world folows the french schme and drive on the wrong side of the road :stir:
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

It is difficult to tell from the video, but it is possible the truck turned sharper than it otherwise would have to avoid them, which resulted in it rolling. If they weren't there, the truck may not have rolled.
Moe
Expatriate

Post by Moe »

Blaming the dead tourists seems a bit over the top.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Moe wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:54 am

Blaming the dead tourists seems a bit over the top.
It is not a matter of blame. It is to make those still living, think.

A lot of other people ride motorbikes. Most likely, in the near future, someone will post the news of another motorbike rider that has had an accident. People need to think about how dangerous it can be, and be very careful. There are far too many people killed or injured on motorbikes in S E Asia.

I ride a bicycle. I go slower than a motorbike most of the time. I also give way to large vehicles. These things reduce the likelihood of an accident.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic