another reason to avoid Bangkok airlines

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

another reason to avoid Bangkok airlines

Post by phuketrichard »

I think in my whole time here i have flown them once and only cause someone gave me a free ticket otherwise never saw the reason to pay 50-100% more to go somewhere in SE Asia
Now ( especially if ur overweight) a reason to avoid them

Although they wont say this, i can see it coming

" sorry sir will you please step on the scale"
"ok"
"sorry sir, but your 25 kilos overweight and you need pay a surcharge"

"WTF" as he throws a tantrum and storms off
Your chance to weigh in on airport and flight practices in Thailand may be coming, quite literally. Bangkok Airways is looking to join a number of international airlines that will be weighing passengers before boarding.

On September 16, it became clear that airlines were getting a bit nosy about passengers’ pounds. Foreign giants like Korean Air and Air New Zealand initiated an eyebrow-raising rule, demanding that passengers step on the scales before they step onto the plane.

Why? To crack the code of standard passenger weight and averages to safely calculate flight load
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/transpo ... ok-airways
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: another reason to avoid Bangkok airlines

Post by Jerry Atrick »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 5:35 pm I think in my whole time here i have flown them once and only cause someone gave me a free ticket otherwise never saw the reason to pay 50-100% more to go somewhere in SE Asia
Now ( especially if ur overweight) a reason to avoid them

Although they wont say this, i can see it coming

" sorry sir will you please step on the scale"
"ok"
"sorry sir, but your 25 kilos overweight and you need pay a surcharge"

"WTF" as he throws a tantrum and storms off
Your chance to weigh in on airport and flight practices in Thailand may be coming, quite literally. Bangkok Airways is looking to join a number of international airlines that will be weighing passengers before boarding.

On September 16, it became clear that airlines were getting a bit nosy about passengers’ pounds. Foreign giants like Korean Air and Air New Zealand initiated an eyebrow-raising rule, demanding that passengers step on the scales before they step onto the plane.

Why? To crack the code of standard passenger weight and averages to safely calculate flight load
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/transpo ... ok-airways
Never had an issue with them; always flew either Thai or Bangkok airways from PP-BKK - pretty much same price and would just pick whichever was most convenient for any given time
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

They work together with several airlines if coming from Europe: Lufthansa, Qatar, Emirates and so on. Never had problems with them until last tuesday. They damaged my suitcase, and when reporting at PNH-airport they took photos from it and asked what it had costed new and how old it was. Ofcourse i lied a little on both of those questions. Curious when and how i get arranged something from them. I would be sure somewhere in PP you can repair them easily for some small money, but no idea where !! ?? Anyone ??
WillieW
Expatriate
Bhutan

Post by WillieW »

Never had a problem with them ...and quite right , fat bastards should have to pay for 2 seats .
Be your own toy.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Ong Tay »

Never have flown them, probably never will. But I guess if one is larger it might make sense to implement a policy like this. Would love to see the US airlines try to implement something like this - imagine the mayhem!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Ah, Bangkok Airways.

I don't think it's a bad idea to charge heavyweight passengers more, but personally, I'd make that assessment based on how well they fit into a seat. If they don't fit in and flow over into any neighboring seat(s), they should buy two.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Alex wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:30 pm Ah, Bangkok Airways.

I don't think it's a bad idea to charge heavyweight passengers more, but personally, I'd make that assessment based on how well they fit into a seat. If they don't fit in and flow over into any neighboring seat(s), they should buy two.
It will be a good way to increase the airlines revenue.
Boredom is like a shroud
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ozinasia »

newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Alex wrote:Ah, Bangkok Airways.

Be careful what you wish for.

What if airlines used K-Pop idols as the standard for weight and seat width? Most Asians would be charged for two seats, Europeans three seats, others, god only knows.

Each passenger weighed then forced to sit in a ‘standard’ size seat. And if the knees don’t fit? Extra seat charge, too!

Think of the increase in profits for the airlines…

Tongue in cheek, but I’m sure some exec would at least be thinking in that direction.
Matty9999
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Matty9999 »

I took them from BKK to Phuket, because they offer a free checked piece of luggage. Works out a bit cheaper than some of the other airlines if you need a checked bag.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic