The seemingly random way Thai visa wavers are granted different durations

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

The seemingly random way Thai visa wavers are granted different durations

Post by grumpygit »

This has just caught my attention but it seems currently russians get a 90 day visa waver on entry. Yanks and Europeans are still stuck on 30 days.
There is talk of the powers that be extending the 90 days to other nations but it may or may not happen.

At the start of the year as a brit we were getting 45 days for a while but this was a sweetener to get more tourists in after COVID.

Anyone know any more details on any of this?
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: The seemingly random way Thai visa wavers are granted different durations

Post by Jerry Atrick »

grumpygit wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:55 pm This has just caught my attention but it seems currently russians get a 90 day visa waver on entry. Yanks and Europeans are still stuck on 30 days.
There is talk of the powers that be extending the 90 days to other nations but it may or may not happen.

At the start of the year as a brit we were getting 45 days for a while but this was a sweetener to get more tourists in after COVID.

Anyone know any more details on any of this?
Why does it seem random to you?

It's not
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

If you're looking for "common sense" (or "logic") in Thai government decisions, you're generally looking in the wrong place.

That being said, I think it's a good idea to encourage tourists to stay longer without the tourist visa and/or extension hassle. Between civilized countries, 90 day visa exempts are pretty much the norm.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Boost tourism till april 2024, over 880,000 in the 1st 8 months this year
If the UK sent a million tourists in the first 8 months of 2023, ( 1.5 million russians in 2019) they would get 90 days as well>>> :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Mcdrizzle
Tourist
Thailand

Post by Mcdrizzle »

I think the Russians get a longer visa because they've had a good relationship with Thailand for a while. Russian Tsar Nicholas II and King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) were bezzies back in the day
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Mcdrizzle wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:42 pm I think the Russians get a longer visa because they've had a good relationship with Thailand for a while. Russian Tsar Nicholas II and King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) were bezzies back in the day
Plus, the Russians in Thailand already prob aren't in a hurry home. . .

The Thai immigration are also allowing Ukrainian nationals the 90 days, I note. Similarly, any conscription age Ukrainians aren't in a hurry home by now, either
Mcdrizzle
Tourist
Thailand

Post by Mcdrizzle »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:47 pm
Mcdrizzle wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:42 pm I think the Russians get a longer visa because they've had a good relationship with Thailand for a while. Russian Tsar Nicholas II and King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) were bezzies back in the day
Plus, the Russians in Thailand already prob aren't in a hurry home. . .

The Thai immigration are also allowing Ukrainian nationals the 90 days, I note. Similarly, any conscription age Ukrainians aren't in a hurry home by now, either
Good point
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

Thailand's 90 days can compete for tourist rubles and market share with all those Egyptian and Turkish beaches and other 90-day, beachy destinations.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic