Have you seen a UFO?

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Have you seen a UFO?

Post by rozzieoz »

Some of you have traveled to weird and wonderful places - have you ever seen anything weird in the sky?
Even the American government has come out and admitted that there are things out there that they can't identify, so hopefully we can have a discussion about it without anyone losing their mind.

I saw a meteor like none other I've ever seen - it was in Sihanoukville a few years ago. We were driving at night and saw the largest shooting star I've ever seen and the sky actually turned green. It was absolutely amazing, like a huge green explosion.
I'm still waiting to see a UFO.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Bong Kri
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Have you seen a UFO?

Post by Bong Kri »

Yes, once. I was at Glastonbury Tor at night. I was doing a car tour of mythological sites in England as I’d realised that I’d never seen them having been born there and being 25 years old at the time. Stonehenge, Avebury etc.

At the time, I was interested in Ley Lines. Well at Glastonbury Tor is apparently where ley lines meet and this is called a Vortex. I dont know how true this is, I was just caught up in the story and had some free time, so why not?

Well I was parked up outside there for the night. Something flew over my car. It felt like a helicopter, but with no sound, and 100 times more intense. The vibration. Me and my friend freaked out. Didn’t want to get out the car so drove off. As I was driving, my friend pointed out the window and there was a UFO. I dont know how to explain it other then what you’d picture. It was an oval shape with like a upside triangle through the middle. It almost hung in the sky, and then it just vanished.

I have described it to friends but I can see there face that they don’t really believe me. I came to the conclusion that it’s one of those things that you can only conceive if you see it and experience it yourself. Could it be military? Possibly. I’ll never know, but it was definitely a UFO.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

:popcorn: It was probably a drone but it was visually fantastic for a drone and I watched it with a fella that goes by Tall Andy for 2 or 3 hours. This was right on Riverside in PP from 3 am on to daybreak. I've seen similar things in Colorado and Utah, they are likely private drones and I was likely just a target to practice on.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I'd love to talk to the locals around Angkor Wat, I've heard there's a lot of weird stuff in the sky there.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Bong Kri wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:38 am I have described it to friends but I can see there face that they don’t really believe me. I came to the conclusion that it’s one of those things that you can only conceive if you see it and experience it yourself. Could it be military? Possibly. I’ll never know, but it was definitely a UFO.
I absolutely believe you.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Loads of them - I have seen plenty of flying objects that I couldn't identify - as a kid we were under one of the western Europe flight paths and when skies were clear they were very clear

I don't think any of them were alien crafts though
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Just because a flying object can't be immedietly identified, I don't know why so many people conclude that it must be aliens (i'm talking about people in general, not board members specifically). It's like when something unusual happens that easily be explained - it must be a ghost!

I honestly believe in something called the 'rare earth hypothesis', which basically states that life is so massively unlikely to start, let alone evolve into intellgent life, that it is incredibly, incredibly sparse within the universe. We're probably not the only life, but other life is spread so far and wide, it would be a near impossibility to ever travel the vast distances needed to ever meet each other. We look out at the night sky at all those trillions of stars and assume the universe must be teaming with life, but if that were the case, as the famous Fermi Paradox states, "where is everyone?"

I once read something that explains it perfectly for me.

Imagine a million prisoners all locked in their own individual cells. None of the prisoners are aware of the other prisoners existence.
All the prisoners are given a hairpin and they are told that if they can pick the lock to thier cells within 3 minutes, they will be let free. If they can't, they will be killed.
The locks are practically impossible to pick, however, one prisoner manages to pick his lock within a couple of minutes. The remaining 999,999 prisoners are killed because they could not pick theirs in time.

Upon release, the prisoner was asked how easy it was to pick his lock. He replied that it was very easy. It must have been easy, because he managed it within 2 minutes.

He is then told of the 999,999 other prisoners who did not manage to pick theirs, and were killed. His opinion of just how easy it was to pick his lock clearly immediatly changed.

We are that prisoner who managed to pick the lock. We assume that because life exists here, it must be easy for life to start, and therefore, the universe must be full of it. But I honestly don't think it is.

As you can probably tell, I'm not a believer in UFO's. Not the alien kind anyway.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

Not me personally, but a guy I know did and he told me about it.

He was driving and noticed a car pulled over to the side of the road, didn't think anything of it until he saw the people from the car looking up at the sky. He did the same and saw (his words) "a huge, gray, disk-shaped thing slowly going behind a cloud". By the time he'd pulled over it was gone and he didn't see it again.

I did see a meteor though, much like the one you described but more like a fireball than a shooting star, it was pretty impressive. A few days later there was that huge meteor that broke windows and scared the crap out of people in Russia, I always wondered if the fireball I saw was from the same cloud of space debris as the Russian one.
orichá
Expatriate
Canada

Post by orichá »

Around 1995, I was walking up a rural trail with a girlfriend, in the steep hills of San Xia, Taiwan, above a fish farming restaurant. We had just reached the top of a long winding gravel road. Nobody was around. As the road became straight across a hill top, the sky opened overhead.

Suddenly, from behind, taking us completely by surprise, and passing VERY SLOWLY directly over our heads through the air, came a huge and silent craft. It was all white and tubular, like the fuselage of an airliner as big as a 737. But it was silent, gliding at a very slow speed of no more than 30 kmph, and only 20 meters overhead, just above the hill top that we were walking across, and moving in exactly the same direction we were walking..!

We didn't see or hear it coming, it was so quiet... Anyway, I looked up instantly as it began passing silently overhead because the shadow it cast was huge. Looking straight up, I saw the front of the craft was smooth, hard, white and conical. I noticed faint grayish and black streaks along the conical sides of the front end, as if before it had been going at speed through the atmosphere or rain or whatever...

My girlfriend and I both stared up as it glided over us. The craft was at least 20 or 30 meters long. Like a big white cigar, perfectly cylindrical... There were no ripples, rivets or markings in the smooth white surface of the fuselage, which looked rather hard or painted at least. Glancing left and right as it passed, I saw no wings on either side as it continued. It was moving far too slowly for any normal aircraft. And, the craft was suspended in the air and gliding so slowly despite looking solid and massive.

As it passed, at a point near the middle of the fuselage, inside the craft, I heard a muffled whirring sound, like something electric or highly energetic spinning around inside. Then, the sound faded.

Several more meters of the fuselage passed over us and then the tail end appeared. We were looking straight up at it... It was so close overhead. The back end was a flat perfectly round circle, revealing the cylindrical shape. I heard a distinct hissing sound, like pressurized air. I could clearly see dozens, maybe fifty brass-colored metal rings with red circles on the outside edges. These buttons stood out a few centimeters and were arranged in regular rows up and down the entire tail end. They looked like machined brassy metal caps or nozzles. The craft was gliding so slowly, I recall all the these details easily. The weirdest thing was how remarkably smooth, unmarked and solid the fuselage looked.

It kept moving, so low and slow over the hilltops right ahead of us until it simply disappeared over the horizon of hilltops. So strange -- how it passed right above us just as we'd reached the very top of the mountain road, which we'd been hiking up for twenty minutes or more...

We immediately discussed what we had seen. My gf was amazed but not frightened. I told her I thought it might be a military "balloon" of some kind. But the thing was way too big to be a spy drone. It was big enough to hold people for sure. But from our perspective underneath, it was impossible to see if there were any windows on the topside of the cylinder.

Nobody else was with us. I never saw anything like it ever again. But unless it was filled with helium or something, there's no way such a large wingless object with a very hard-looking skin could have remained suspended in the air. It looked like a huge missile moving in slow motion, horizontally hugging the hilltops...

Years later, I found a crackpot website called "UFOs Northwest", on which they were publishing "UFO sighting reports". Well, I scoured their database, which seemed limited to mostly sightings in the U.S. and UK... Anyway, I found a couple of people reported seeing huge white cylinders hovering in the air out at sea, gliding and hovering near the surface of the water around Florida. Their description of the object's gravity-defying behavior and appearance was similar to the thing I saw. ( In the end, I decided it was a Taiwan military bird, but for what purpose, I couldn't guess... )

Another experience, recently... I was staying out at Sunset beach in Koh Rong after the new year. I went out to the beach to see the stars around 11 p.m. I spotted several shooting stars -- meteors. But something else, too. I was staring at the spot in the sky where I'd already seen about three or four meteors streaking down... Then I saw a "meteor" of medium intensity moving slowly across the sky. It blinked off, then turned on again a little further on. I saw another one just like it a few minutes later. Not an airplane light, because it was white, not red, and switched off. But when it switched on again it was moving in the opposite direction. Way high up. It blinked on and off then disappeared ...I was so shocked. But I became suspicious, because the next morning, I noticed a small Cambodian navy frigate moored off the beach quite far out, almost a kilometer. I decided maybe the sailors were playing with lasers or something ...Who knows? But there was definitely a real meteor shower going on at the same time over a few nights...
~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~+~
“There are terrible difficulties in the notion of probability, but we may ignore them at present.” - Bertrand Russell
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

" We assume that because life exists here, it must be easy for life to start, and therefore, the universe must be full of it. But I honestly don't think it is."

I'm not sure about life being easy to start, but I don't think it's necessarily very difficult either.

Scientists have found the building blocks of life on asteroids, there's actually a theory that's how they came to Earth. They've found evidence of ancient bodies of water on Mars and I think I remember reading about them finding fossilized bacteria too. They're putting a lot into looking for evidence of life (current or extinct) there, they must think there's a good chance it's possible.

So if it's possible for life to evolve and thrive here, and places as close as Mars show a lot of potential for at least basic life, why couldn't life evolve and thrive elsewhere?

I think that just because we haven't seen it (although many claim to have) doesn't mean it's not there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic