The idle ramblings of an innebriated man.

If you have something so weird, strange or off-topic to post and think it doesn't belong in any other forum; you're probably right. Please put all your gormless, half-baked, inane, glaikit ideas in here. This might also be a place where we throw threads that appear elsewhere that don't belong ANYWHERE end up, instead of having to flush them. FORUM RULES STILL APPLY.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

The idle ramblings of an innebriated man.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

The Tormented Expat

I’ve found the tormented expat to be either an irascible,pessimistic, bumptious know-it-all, or a disconsolate, morose, sad sack - and it’s my opinion both of these particularly distasteful expat types should be given quite a sizable berth in the unfortunate event your paths happen to cross. Actually, truth be known, I’d rather place my exposed behind on a nest of particularly voracious ants than spend any length of time drawing breath from the same room as these Southeast Asia trespassers. *sniff*

I do have my suspicions as to why these types of expats are so uncongenial in nature however, no doubt my following scotch fueled assumptions to come back and bite my commodious ass in short time. None-the-less, here they are anyway.

For the most part I believe this breed of expat living in the region is a dislocated misfit, he moving to these eastern shores believing the bedlam and disorder here more chaotic than he perceives himself to be - thus able to conceal his more accustomed societal dysfunction from view. Inevitably however after a short period of time where this new world no longer offers a glimmer of hope in diverting his natural predisposition toward lycanthropy, the familiar demons and psychological deformations wrestle themselves to the surface again to torment him further, their effects bearing considerably more weight in the land that defaulted on its promise of expat salvation.

Then realizing there was actually no remedy in self exile to begin with, this expat finds himself completely defeated with no idea for cure, the social dissident now suffering the ignominy of a worst-self manifestation what with his move to SEA being the last bastion of hope for change or to live a less complicated life. He spirals into the abyss a broken man.

Other tormented expats have the misguided belief a move to the east might help reorient themselves somehow, gaining them a fresh perspective on life from where one might try to find a new direction, or engage this existence with a little more vigor, exuberance or positivity. But unfortunately they had no inkling as to the frustration and nuisance that prevails in the new land so they now engage in a masquerade, wearing Southeast Asia as uncomfortably as a drunk wears an over sized suit - from afar thie new actuality appears to fit nicely but upon closer scrutiny the lifestyle isn’t as well tailored as it would appear - poorly stitched plans now exposing worn facades of existence and hopelessness in SEA.

These tormented expats are old hands at self justification, self destruction, and they harbor all manner of excuse for the travails inflicted upon them by life - their anguished internal cries of “victim” reverberate inside them so forcefully one could be excused for believing it’s not the need of another beer causing their hands to tremble. Feeling unfairly treated, misunderstood and unapologetic for their splenetic ways, thankfully the tormented expat wears his discontent proudly as a badge of honor, a good forewarning to the rest of us that a beer in the company of these uncertain souls is a very fucking long beer indeed.

As you were.
hunter8
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: The idle ramblings of an innebriated man.

Post by hunter8 »

Sloth is deadly. One must find something to do during the day to stay fit in body and mind.
Another thing that makes life miserable is not speaking the local language, confining most communication to the same type of miserable expats.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

That feeling when someone bumps your whiskey-soaked post from the night before.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

we have a choice
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic