Bumblebee?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Bumblebee?

Post by StroppyChops »

I know Khmer has a translation for 'bee' - ឃ្ផុម - but is 'aumeal' - ឪម៉ាល់ - an exact translation for bumblebee?

If the same, does it have the same lazy summer wandering (bumbling) connotation to Khmer people, or is it seen as annoying or dangerous?

Native-English speakers seem to immediately appreciate why we name our tuktuk "the bumblebee", want to know if it carries the same connotations in Khmer.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
flying chicken
Expatriate

Re: Bumblebee?

Post by flying chicken »

I think the precise translation for ameul into English is hornet..the siem reapers tend to call it by this name when it looks different than a bee.

It has no connotation regarding to people. Maybe when they saw/heard that word (bumblebee) a character from Transformers spring to mind?
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

flying chicken wrote:It has no connotation regarding to people. Maybe when they saw/heard that word (bumblebee) a character from Transformers spring to mind?
Thank you - considered the Transformers connection and don't mind it.
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

My little boy calls any yellow vehicle Bumblebee because of Transformers :lol:
He'd love your tuk-tuk.
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I don't know about bumblebee, but you could just call it "bee"/"kmoum". Or maybe like "the big bee" or something like that. I can't write it out right now because I'm on my phone, but any dictionary would give you the spelling.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Joon wrote:My little boy calls any yellow vehicle Bumblebee because of Transformers :lol:
He'd love your tuk-tuk.
Kids seem to love seeing the big westerner jammed into the driver's seat. They get their family's attention to point us out, the family pretends not to notice until we wave, and then we're better than television.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote:I don't know about bumblebee, but you could just call it "bee"/"kmoum". Or maybe like "the big bee" or something like that. I can't write it out right now because I'm on my phone, but any dictionary would give you the spelling.
Thanks BKL - we use khmoum ឃ្ផុម in conversation and get some blank looks, but we're about to add branding which includes a bee logo, so the picture might be worth a thousand words. We're using 'Bumblebee' as part of our business name (aimed at English-speaking foreign market) but are considering Khmer names such as 'Happy Bee' or 'Wandering Bee' - suggestions welcome to get that sense of 'bumble'.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

^^ Are you the new marketing consultant for Beeline?

:popcorn:
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Something like that.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

What exactly do you sell?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Joon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Joon »

StroppyChops wrote:... but are considering Khmer names such as 'Happy Bee' or 'Wandering Bee' - suggestions welcome to get that sense of 'bumble'.
Dancing bee or Drunken bee :D
Disclaimer: I don't actually look like my avatar.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic