Helping barangs know their sh*t, linguistically speaking

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
kiwiincambodia
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by kiwiincambodia »

Fri, 17 June 2016
Audrey Wilson

Thida Men has the gentle voice of a patient teacher and a sly smile. She also likes to teach foreigners to cuss.

Thida puts the focus on “street language”, lending her students – mostly expatriates – lessons they aren’t likely to get from a more traditional kru. She is unique in her pedagogy: putting everyday slang, simple pronunciation and even dirty words first.

“What I teach is different. I encourage the students to ask me things that they don’t know – even if they are strange – and especially about pronunciation,” she said this week. “There are words that expats always mispronounce.”

In class, Thida clears up these common mistakes. She promises her students won’t get strange looks from co-workers again when they say “Cheers!” over an after-work beer.

She also fields questions of some consequence: from women who want to tell off the tuk-tuk driver on their block, or people who think they’re being ripped off at the market because of their rudimentary Khmer.

Thida works a day job at a travel agency and is a business partner at arts space Cloud, where she has held her classes twice a month since January. But her passion is languages: she studied English and French at the Institute of Foreign Languages in
Phnom Penh, and she began teaching in her spare time a couple years ago.

http://www.phnompenhpost.com/post-weeke ... y-speaking
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Re: Helping barangs know their sh*t, linguistically speaking

Post by Samouth »

The writer had made a really big mistake in this article before it was edited and got slammed online by Cambodian facebook users. If anyone of the paper that issued on 16 June please take a picture and post here i will point out the error part. The error actually ruin the whole content.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Rama
Expatriate

Post by Rama »

Believe it or not, I know no Khmer swear words.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

What about "Jewy My"- people say that for the slightest reason and it means "fuck your mother".
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Rama wrote:Believe it or not, I know no Khmer swear words.
Create a thread, i will try to write everything i know even though i don't know many of them. :)
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i think i know a few, spelling/meaning could be questionable but ill give it a go

Joi - Fuck
Joi M'aii - Fuck your mother/mother fucker
Joi Kadouy - Fucking cunt?
Prolak Pok - Dirty Pussy (used as an insult to a girl who fucked before marriage?)
Pok ponna - How big your pussy
Srey Kouch - Taxi girl?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i think i know a few, spelling/meaning could be questionable but ill give it a go

Joi - Fuck
Joi M'aii - Fuck your mother/mother fucker
Joi Kadouy - Fucking cunt?
Prolak Pok - Dirty Pussy (used as an insult to a girl who fucked before marriage?)
Pok ponna - How big your pussy
Srey Kouch - Taxi girl?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic