Tribute to Singing Sirens.

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Tribute to Singing Sirens.

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

The greatest of Cambodia’s torch singers of the Golden Era – Ros Sereysothea, Pan Ron and Houy Meas – were all murdered by the Khmer Rouge. GT2/Supplied

Peter Olszewski
July 12 2019

The careers and the often-times-tragic histories of Cambodia’s “siren singers” from the last 50 years have been honoured in a new exhibition of paintings by Cambodian Space Project founder Julian Poulson.

"Singers portrayed in the paintings date back to the early beginnings of Cambodian pop music in the 1960s, when women singers such as as Chhoun Malay and Mao Sareth were stars."

"“The portraits are ten canvases of Mao Sareth, Chhoun Malay, Him Sivorn, Pan Ron, Kak Channthy, Chhom Nimol, Houy Meas, Ros Sereysothea, the Sieng Sisters, So Savouen,” Poulson says."

"For example, on July 6, 1999, famed actress and singer Piseth Pilika was shot by an unknown gunman during a shopping excursion at Orussey Market in Phnom Penh, and her seven-year-old niece, Sarin Sereimean was also wounded."

"Pilika’s spine was severed and she died on July 13. Her body was displayed in a wake at the School of Fine Arts, where she had taught ballet, and police estimated that on the first day more than 10,000 mourners gathered. The killing was never solved."

"According to the One Eleven Gallery’s press release, “Poulson’s paintings reflect these ‘shadows of darkness’ through the history and imagery of the women of song while also showing the absolute beauty and splendor of iconic divas and women who, at various times, have risen to become the sublimely beautiful voices of the Kingdom of Cambodia.”

Full https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50623319/t ... n-singers/
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Tribute to Singing Sirens.

Post by Barang chgout »

Julian still making money from Chhanty, I see.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Tribute to Singing Sirens.

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Sereysothea’s life story to be graphic novel
Kheng Sokkunthea | Publication date 04 May 2020 | 11:20 ICT

Having spent a couple of years researching the biography of legendary Cambodian singer Ros Sereysothea, Emmy award-winning producer Gregory Cahill has teamed up with graphic artist Kat Baumann to create a graphic novel The Golden Voice based on the life of the renowned singer.

Set to be released in 2021, the idea of creating the graphic novel about Sereysothea’s life story came to Cahill through a crime thriller City of Ghosts which was released in 2003.

The movie, which was filmed in Phnom Penh and the Bokor mountains, was directed by Hollywood actor Matt Dillon who was also involved in the soundtrack of Cambodia oldies.

“City of Ghosts was my introduction to Cambodia. I’m a big music lover, and I found the film’s soundtrack incredibly exciting.

“Matt Dillon did a fantastic job curating a soundtrack of Cambodian oldies, including a few greatest hits by Ros Sereysothea. I loved her music immediately,” Cahill, the producer for the CBS talk show, The Talk and an Emmy Award-winning television producer in Los Angeles, US, tells The Post.

Listening to Sereysothea’s amazing voice made him more curious about the singer. Cahill started to explore more about her and spent a couple of years researching her biography in much greater detail before setting out to make a feature film about her.

“I chose to focus on Ros Sereysothea firstly because I loved her music. I think that a lot of her real-life experiences shaped her musical performances.

“You can feel her emotion in her singing,” Cahill says.

More than just being captivated by her voice, Cahill was inspired by the singer’s struggling life which many people can relate to.

“She was the ultimate underdog. She came from a difficult peasant background and had to work hard to find success in the music business. And even when she found success, her life was still a struggle in many ways. I think a lot of people can relate to her story.

“I see her as a role model of strength and courage in the face of adversity. She was very sweet, but she was tough. She wasn’t just a singer. She was a rice farmer, a soldier and a mother,” he says.
Full article: https://www.phnompenhpost.com/lifestyle ... FPPcmn55bz
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic