Being Cambodian is so much unfortunate (not all)

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Being Cambodian is so much unfortunate (not all)

Post by Samouth »

During my solo traveling I met a lot of people from all over the world and got to talk and shared with them about stuff. Some of them are really nice and so approachable. They still keep in touch with me on facebook. Not to mention, every tourists I met always invited me to visit their countries. They said, they will help me with food and accommodation, so it will help me a lot with expense. This is really nice of them. On the other hand, they were shocked when I told them that it is really hard for Cambodian to apply for tourist visa to visit in any developed countries.

Example (Applying for tourist visa to Australia)
As a Cambodian: I will be required to have a bank account which has at least 5000 buck. I need to present them my properties certificate like land and house and so on. It is to make sure that I will return to Cambodia after my visit in Australia. Likewise Applying for tourist visa in The United State, however it is 10 times harder compare to Australia as a few Cambodians have destroyed the credit of the whole nation. They got the visa. They went to The United State and never return home. They hide themselves at their relative houses and work there. So it is fair enough. :)
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Being Cambodian is so much unfortunate (not all)

Post by frank lee bent »

yes, countries predicate entry requirements on the overstaying practises of their countrymen.

the magic entry is university study, especialyl via scholarships.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

frank lee bent wrote:yes, countries predicate entry requirements on the overstaying practises of their countrymen.

the magic entry is university study, especialyl via scholarships.
I think so. The only easy way to get into those developed countries and get to know more about thier culture and people is via scholarship.

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

mostly if you graduate in a field where there is demand they let you stay.

they only want profit centres- not cost centres- and they can choose whatever they think of as the best.

unlike their own natural born citizens.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

prahkeitouj
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by prahkeitouj »

Samouth wrote:During my solo traveling I met a lot of people from all over the world and got to talk and shared with them about stuff. Some of them are really nice and so approachable. They still keep in touch with me on facebook. Not to mention, every tourists I met always invited me to visit their countries. They said, they will help me with food and accommodation, so it will help me a lot with expense. This is really nice of them. On the other hand, they were shocked when I told them that it is really hard for Cambodian to apply for tourist visa to visit in any developed countries.

As a Cambodian: I will be required to have a bank account which has at least 5000 buck. I need to present them my properties certificate like land and house and so on. It is to make sure that I will return to Cambodia after my visit in Australia. Likewise Applying for tourist visa in The United State, however it is 10 times harder compare to Australia as a few Cambodians have destroyed the credit of the whole nation. They got the visa. They went to The United State and never return home. They hide themselves at their relative houses and work there. So it is fair enough. :)
I understand it. Just some people who think relocate is good for them. Maybe they don't think that they have to learn about new place such as geography, language,culture, environmetn and weather.... And the most important they have to find a new job at there. They start from nothing...
However aren't you happy that your country is visited? Maybe something specail that makes they visit Cambodia. :-)
កុំស្លាប់ដូចពស់ កុំរស់ដូចកង្កែប
MekongMouse
Expatriate

Post by MekongMouse »

If you want to visit the USA (probably the hardest country to get into), you have to first visit developed countries with fewer restrictions and then return, proving you're not just trying to sneak in. I think Hong Kong would be the easiest; if you get a tourist visa there, then return to Cambodia, it will make getting into the US or Australia much easier.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

prahkeitouj wrote:
Samouth wrote:During my solo traveling I met a lot of people from all over the world and got to talk and shared with them about stuff. Some of them are really nice and so approachable. They still keep in touch with me on facebook. Not to mention, every tourists I met always invited me to visit their countries. They said, they will help me with food and accommodation, so it will help me a lot with expense. This is really nice of them. On the other hand, they were shocked when I told them that it is really hard for Cambodian to apply for tourist visa to visit in any developed countries.

I understand it. Just some people who think relocate is good for them. Maybe they don't think that they have to learn about new place such as geography, language,culture, environmetn and weather.... And the most important they have to find a new job at there. They start from nothing...
However aren't you happy that your country is visited? Maybe something specail that makes they visit Cambodia. :-)
i actually feel overwhelmed to see more and more of them come to visit our country, however i just felt that it is really unfair since they can come to viist our country any time and why can't just do the same. However, i might have to learn about the fact that we are from poor country and almost everything is 360 degree different from them.

Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

MekongMouse wrote:If you want to visit the USA (probably the hardest country to get into), you have to first visit developed countries with fewer restrictions and then return, proving you're not just trying to sneak in. I think Hong Kong would be the easiest; if you get a tourist visa there, then return to Cambodia, it will make getting into the US or Australia much easier.
i think i will do it in the future, as my current financial status wouldn't allow me to make even a trip in abroad. i was just speaking for other Cambodians who are afford to visit abroad. There are many people i know who were rejected once or twice by the developed countries embassies in Cambodia.

frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

factor into your judgement that life is unbelievably expensive over there.
they may seem rich but they are not.
mostly cambodian people have an easier path to home ownership than in the west and this is key to personal wealth.

an idiom in english: the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

a clever chicken is focused on the earth where his feet stand.

sometimes a diamond or other gem is found there.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic