"Disgusted with Myself ": Examining the Risk Factors and Vulnerabilities of Hostesses at Karaoke TV Venues in Phnom Pen

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

"Disgusted with Myself ": Examining the Risk Factors and Vulnerabilities of Hostesses at Karaoke TV Venues in Phnom Pen

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

"Disgusted with Myself ": Examining the Risk Factors and Vulnerabilities of Hostesses at Karaoke TV Venues in Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Miles, Glenn M. and Alsiyao, Daphne (2019) ""Disgusted with Myself ": Examining the Risk Factors and Vulnerabilities of Hostesses at Karaoke TV Venues in Phnom Penh, Cambodia," Dignity: A Journal on Sexual Exploitation and Violence: Vol. 4: Iss. 1, Article 9. DOI: 10.23860/dignity.2019.04.01.09

Other key demographic factors not included in this table include where the participants are originally from. The highest frequency (20%) of migration was from the Kandal province that surrounds the Phnom Penh municipality. The furthest that aparticipant travelled from to live in Phnom Penh was Battambong (2%) with the closest being Kandal. This is not including the 10% of participants that already lived in Phnom Penh. As expected, a large percentage, 72%, of participants stated that their reason for moving to Phnom Penh was for work and to earn money. Other reasons for living in Phnom Penh included: already living in Phnom Penh (10%), visiting a relative (6%), relocating with their families (4%), study (4%), and fleeing from strained family relationships (4%).

The number of hours worked ranged from 49 to 99.5 hours per week, an average of 70.7 hours per week. Income for past three months ranged from 50 to 1450 USD and the median income was 420 USD. The range of weekly income for participants was from 17.50 to 95 USD while the average was 42.18 USD. A participant’s income was divided into three different components: salary given from the owner of the KTV venue, tips from the customers, and financial incentives for drinking beer, ordering food, or booking rooms for customers. Weekly salary ranged from 12.50 to 35 USD and averaged 24.45 USD. Tips earned in the previous week ranged from zero to 50 USD and averaged 16.85 USD. Finally, five participants indicated receiving incentives ranging from 1.50 to 30 USD and averaging 10.90 USD within the previous week.

Participants were asked to indicate how much value they had as a person from zero to 100%. Of the 50 participants, 20 stated that their value was between 61 and 80%, 11 stated between 41 and 60%, nine stated between 81 and 100%, one stated between 21 and 40%, and six stated between zero and 20%. When asked if there was anything they could do to increase their value: 16 mentioned to quit working at the KTV venue, 13 stated to have good behaviour, four indicated to work hard, and three noted to receive an education.

full.https://digitalcommons.uri.edu/cgi/view ... xt=dignity
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: "Disgusted with Myself ": Examining the Risk Factors and Vulnerabilities of Hostesses at Karaoke TV Venues in Phnom

Post by Mishmash »

Getting paid for this type of no-value obscure research is up there on the dream job hot list.

Here is an executive summary - free

Like a lot of normal men, KTV hostesses like sex and money - full stop.

KTV's are private functions with consenting adults who like sex, money, singing, dancing, beer and food.

A KTV beats a British Pub hands down.

Hope they have fucked off.

Incel wankers.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: "Disgusted with Myself ": Examining the Risk Factors and Vulnerabilities of Hostesses at Karaoke TV Venues in Phnom

Mishmash wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:00 pm Getting paid for this type of no-value obscure research is up there on the dream job hot list.

KTV's are private functions with consenting adults
That's not always the case as multiple studies have shown (even this one if you'd read it) many women admitted being forced into sex .

Whilst a third (34%) of the participants were aware of other young women working in KTV venues who were being forced to have sex against their wishes, 10% stated that they themselves had been forced to have sex: 6% occasionally and 4% very often. Others shared experiences of attempted, but not completed, coercive sexual acts (for statistics see diagram 3).
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:09 pm
Mishmash wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:00 pm Getting paid for this type of no-value obscure research is up there on the dream job hot list.

That's not always the case as multiple studies have shown (even this one if you'd read it) many women admitted being forced into sex .

Whilst a third (34%) of the participants were aware of other young women working in KTV venues who were being forced to have sex against their wishes, 10% stated that they themselves had been forced to have sex: 6% occasionally and 4% very often. Others shared experiences of attempted, but not completed, coercive sexual acts (for statistics see diagram 3).
I agree, this appears to be an involved topic.

Forced sex is rape and comes under the law. As does trafficking.

The fact they they were 'forced' and then continue to work?

Seems an obvious contradiction.

Bit like 'he raped me every day for years' but I still kept going back.

The money aspect does not enter it as there are avenues of alternative work available.

Most of the 'victims' of this 'coercion' are dripping with gold, have the best outfits, ride the latest motos and have 2 smartphones.

No illiteracy there!

Genuine victims of rape are severely traumatized and would be mortally afraid of even going outside. It takes years of counseling to help them.

They most definitely do not go back for more of the same...

In my admittedly small sample of 150 KTV's, at least 50 Hostess Bars, around 500 beer gardens and meeting at least 6000 ladies, I have never seen a single coerced woman yet.

99% of the time it's paid company food and beer, 1% of the time it ends in the lady wanting something more. It's the ladies choice.

This IS a debate.... Right?
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Mishmash wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:18 pm
Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:09 pm

I agree, this appears to be an involved topic.

Forced sex is rape and comes under the law. As does trafficking.

The fact they they were 'forced' and then continue to work?

Seems an obvious contradiction.

The money aspect does not enter it as there are avenues of alternative work available.

Most of the 'victims' of this 'coercion' are dripping with gold, have the best outfits, ride the latest motos and have 2 smartphones.

No illiteracy there!

Genuine victims of rape are severely traumatized and would be mortally afraid of even going outside. It takes years of counseling to help them.

They most definitely do not go back for more of the same...

This IS a debate.... Right?
It's not an involved fucking topic!! Some women are forced to have sex!!You know damn well women in this industry are sometimes forced into sex. Just because someone doesn't stand there with a gun at their head doesn't mean they're not being forced into doing it.
Genuine victims of rape are severely traumatized and would be mortally afraid of even going outside.
And it's obvious you know jack shit about the psychology of trauma or rape victims and how symptoms may or may not manifest. You're beginning to look a little foolish and uneducated now..

I was going to suggest some reading but I'm pretty sure you'll just dismiss it as incell wank, pc crap or something else as equally dismissive.

I'm out, there's no point in discussing it with you, Mmshmash. KTV's are great place as far as you're concerned and no harm is done to anyone, even when provided with evidence to the contrary. Several times in the past you've displayed a great deal of misogyny toward women and this is just another. Women it seems are for your use and pleasure and that's about it.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Interesting perspective. I'm sorry if it gave you the wrong impression.

However, I think the ladies I know from all walks of life would disagree with you, that I am misogynist. I think I have around 1000 phone numbers.

I haven't seen in my limited experience any evidence of coercion - I didn't say it didn't exist.

If you have any evidence to support the claims of 'coercion' or see anyone undergoing it, I will happily go to the authorities with you.

Hell I'll be the first and so would my friends.

Just to be clear..
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:45 pm
It's not an involved fucking topic!! Some women are forced to have sex!!You know damn well women in this industry are sometimes forced into sex. Just because someone doesn't stand there with a gun at their head doesn't mean they're not being forced into doing it.
Genuine victims of rape are severely traumatized and would be mortally afraid of even going outside.
And it's obvious you know jack shit about the psychology of trauma or rape victims and how symptoms may or may not manifest. You're beginning to look a little foolish and uneducated now..

I was going to suggest some reading but I'm pretty sure you'll just dismiss it as incell wank, pc crap or something else as equally dismissive.

I'm out, there's no point in discussing it with you, Mmshmash. KTV's are great place as far as you're concerned and no harm is done to anyone, even when provided with evidence to the contrary. Several times in the past you've displayed a great deal of misogyny toward women and this is just another. Women it seems are for your use and pleasure and that's about it.
I'm sorry if it gave you the wrong impression.

However, I think the ladies I know from all walks of life would disagree with you that I am "misogynist". I think I have around 1000 phone numbers. (sorry updated - it stands at 843 as some were lost when my old phone got wet)

I haven't seen in my limited experience any evidence of coercion - I didn't say it didn't exist.

If you have any evidence to support the claims of 'coercion' or see anyone undergoing it, I will happily go to the authorities with you.

Hell I'll be the first and so would my friends.

Just to be clear..

I had better not post in the cute girls section, just in case I get accused of 'use and pleasure' when I actually like ladies Sir!!!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic