FUBAR

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

FUBAR

Post by taabarang »

I recently killed a cobra on my property, one that locals call "a termite mound cobra" because. they believe that's where their dens are. At the time we spotted each other, I was armed with a kambeut p'keak, usually translated as "long knife.", this one was slightly less than a meter long and the cobra slightly more than a meter long. Since most snakes can extend their strike approximately 2/3 of their body length correct distance is crucial.

Most of.my Khmer neighbors go for a slicing blow to the head which I consider too dangerous and my initial strike is the body center to break the spine, thus reducing the striking radius. Well I wrangled with a tough boned snake and had to take several blows to finally kill.it. I took it to my next-door neighbors for them to BBQ, but they refused it. " Why," I asked and was answered "ktikktwam" which means FUBAR- fucked up beyond all recognition.

Another useful word to describe an object on its last legs is "truittrom.", eg a dilapidated building or even a fragile elderly person.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
andy_morris
Expatriate

Re: FUBAR

Post by andy_morris »

Ktikktwam doesn't sound like a khmer word at all. But I don't doubt you.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

andy_morris wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:37 pm Ktikktwam doesn't sound like a khmer word at all. But I don't doubt you.
Maybe Jamie can help out. It may be a local word, but the villagers accept and use it.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

When we moved to Cambodia it took us a while to accept chicken dishes that were little more than bone splinters - we referred to it as having been lovingly prepared with a baseball bat and a machete.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Well shoot! Better write that in Khmer Mr. Taa. My wife doesn't understand ANY of what you're trying to say.
Guess its lost in translation

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Barang chgout wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:49 pm Well shoot! Better write that in Khmer Mr. Taa. My wife doesn't understand ANY of what you're trying to say.
Guess its lost in translation

She doesn't understand any, you mean both English and my phonetic Khmer? My wife and next-door neighbors understand my spoken Khmer--including these two words. The words in both Khmer and English are real, perhaps operative in a limited geographical location, but real nonetheless. Tell Jamie they're from a song, he'll find them for you.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

ខ្ទេចខ្ទាំ

K'tech k'twam

Or

ខ្ទេច​ខ្ទី

K'tech​ k'tee

My wife says the latter is closer to fubar, with k'twam being more 'pain' than total destruction.

bvanfossen
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by bvanfossen »

epidemiks wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:54 pm ខ្ទេចខ្ទាំ

K'tech k'twam

Or

ខ្ទេច​ខ្ទី

K'tech​ k'tee

My wife says the latter is closer to fubar, with k'twam being more 'pain' than total destruction.
Ok so after trying to pronounce those two as best i could my wife laughed until she had tears! Lol idk why. She said she did not say anything in Khmai lol
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Got it now.
Romanising sucks.

andy_morris
Expatriate

Post by andy_morris »

epidemiks wrote:ខ្ទេចខ្ទាំ

K'tech k'twam

Or

ខ្ទេច​ខ្ទី

K'tech​ k'tee

I'm still unsure why it is being romanised with a 'w'. As far as I'm aware that vowel doesn't have a 'w' sound attached to it at all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic