expressing "when"in khmer

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

expressing "when"in khmer

Post by phnompenhsteve »

whenever i have expressed the idea of when IE "when will you come here?" I've always used ពេលណា but recently in a book that i've been using(a book that i feel is outdated in some respects,yet is the most comprehensive resource i've found) they use អង្កាល់​. Is អង្កាល់ still used often or is it a bit outdated.
if it is still in use, is there much difference in usage or nuance with ពេលណា?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: expressing "when"in khmer

Post by Kammekor »

phnompenhsteve wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:42 am whenever i have expressed the idea of when IE "when will you come here?" I've always used ពេលណា but recently in a book that i've been using(a book that i feel is outdated in some respects,yet is the most comprehensive resource i've found) they use អង្កាល់​. Is អង្កាល់ still used often or is it a bit outdated.
អង្កាល់ (onkaal) is still used, but from my understanding you can only use it for a 'when' if it lies in the future. If you want to ask about a 'when' in the past it changes to 'pii-onkaal'.
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:46 am
phnompenhsteve wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:42 am whenever i have expressed the idea of when IE "when will you come here?" I've always used ពេលណា but recently in a book that i've been using(a book that i feel is outdated in some respects,yet is the most comprehensive resource i've found) they use អង្កាល់​. Is អង្កាល់ still used often or is it a bit outdated.
អង្កាល់ (onkaal) is still used, but from my understanding you can only use it for a 'when' if it lies in the future. If you want to ask about a 'when' in the past it changes to 'pii-onkaal'.
'
Ok thanks.
Now ពេលណា is also used for the future,correct? in that regard is it interchangeable with អង្កាល់?is ពេលណា just more colloquial?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

You can use ពេលណា.

Cambodians would often say, 'what day' or 'what time' will you come here.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I also use pèèl na all the time and have never had an issue or misunderstanding. Pii ongka is more used as a "since when have you been here", not really for the future.
For example: seik bong mao peel na? When are you coming tomorrow?
Vs: Bong mao pi ongka? You just arrived and buddy is there, so it's more of 'How long have you been here?/since when have you been here? question. Kind of like the present perfect in English. At least that's my understanding of it and how I've heard locals use it.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phnompenhsteve wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:53 am
'
Ok thanks.
Now ពេលណា is also used for the future,correct? in that regard is it interchangeable with អង្កាល់?is ពេលណា just more colloquial?
Yes, it's interchangeable, but I think there's a very small difference between ពេលណា (peel na - what time) and អង្កាល់ (when).

If you ask ពេលណា you would expect an answer like 'in an hour', 'two o'clock' or another more or less specific reply. If you ask អង្កាល់ you might get an answer 'in two weeks', 'in a few days'. I might be off, but I have the feeling you use អង្កាល់ when it's difficult to precisely pinpoint 'when' it will happen.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:41 pm
'
Ok thanks.
Yes, it's interchangeable, but I think there's a very small difference between ពេលណា (peel na - what time) and អង្កាល់ (when).

If you ask ពេលណា you would expect an answer like 'in an hour', 'two o'clock' or another more or less specific reply. If you ask អង្កាល់ you might get an answer 'in two weeks', 'in a few days'. I might be off, but I have the feeling you use អង្កាល់ when it's difficult to precisely pinpoint 'when' it will happen.
theres quite a few, Pel, Ongkal or more commonly just Kal, Velea
Ongkal / Kal / Pel = Time, moment, period in time etc.
Velea = actual Time, you would often hear Pel+Velea together

for Kal (Ongkal), its common, you hear it in a lot of words like Kal Pi - on/at/in/during (a certain date/time), Kal Pi Mun - Previously, Kal Mun - Before, Kal Ber - If/When, Kal Nuh - Then etc...
same with Pel, Pel Nih - Now, Pel Mun - before, Pel Tngai/Yub - Daytime/nighttime, Pel Kraoy - Another/later/next time, Pel Klah - Sometimes, Pel Dtomner - Sparetime etc...

Na is used with them all which obviously just means What/Which (time) making it = When? (question) when just a statement you would just say Pel/Kal
:thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

'
Ok thanks.

Makes sense thanks😅
And thanks for replying with khmer alphabet.
Some people only use the roman alphabet and it's often difficult to decipher certain words.
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:04 pm
'
Ok thanks.

for Kal (Ongkal), its common, you hear it in a lot of words like Kal Pi - on/at/in/during (a certain date/time), Kal Pi Mun - Previously, Kal Mun - Before, Kal Ber - If/When, Kal Nuh - Then etc...
same with Pel, Pel Nih - Now, Pel Mun - before, Pel Tngai/Yub - Daytime/nighttime, Pel Kraoy - Another/later/next time, Pel Klah - Sometimes, Pel Dtomner - Sparetime etc...

Na is used with them all which obviously just means What/Which (time) making it = When? (question) when just a statement you would just say Pel/Kal
Hey thanks very informative.
Only problem is that you used roman script which i can't read when used in khmer.
I figured most out but what is veal?
Thx again:)
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phnompenhsteve wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:15 pm
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:04 pm

'
Ok thanks.

Hey thanks very informative.
Only problem is that you used roman script which i can't read when used in khmer.
I figured most out but what is veal?
Thx again:)
sorry i usually reply in Khmer script as i hate romanising Khmer as its never accurate but was only making a quick response

Velea is វេលា
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic