Why Cambodian eats bugs like cricket and tarantulas?

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Why Cambodian eats bugs like cricket and tarantulas?

Post by Samouth »

Eating spiders became widespread in the 1970s amid starvation brought on by the genocidal Khmer Rouge regime.
Svay Leur, Cambodia - Deep in the jungle, Rith spends hours each day hunting tarantulas, which he sells to restaurants near Siem Reap, home of the world-famous Angkor Wat temple.

Rith receives 500 riels (12 cents) from local customers for each hairy spider.

Far from being a new phenomenon, hunting spiders for food and for traditional medicine has taken place in Cambodia for generations. However, eating spiders became widespread in the mid-1970s, when starvation brought on by the genocidal Khmer Rouge regime left people with little other options for survival.

Starvation, along with executions and overwork, resulted in the death of about two million people from 1975-79.

Despite this grim history, spiders are considered to be a delicacy today and sold in markets and restaurants across Cambodia.

While tarantulas are reportedly eaten in Thailand, Papua New Guinea, and parts of India and Venezuela, their widespread popularity in Cambodia is unique. In addition to being rich in protein, folic acid and zinc, they are believed to have medicinal properties.

However, heavy deforestation throughout the country may mean an end to this practice - and tarantulas themselves.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Why Cambodian eats bugs like cricket and tarantulas?

Post by Anchor Moy »

Soumy Phan wrote:Eating spiders became widespread in the 1970s amid starvation brought on by the genocidal Khmer Rouge regime.
Svay Leur, Cambodia - Deep in the jungle, Rith spends hours each day hunting tarantulas, which he sells to restaurants near Siem Reap, home of the world-famous Angkor Wat temple.

Rith receives 500 riels (12 cents) from local customers for each hairy spider.

Far from being a new phenomenon, hunting spiders for food and for traditional medicine has taken place in Cambodia for generations. However, eating spiders became widespread in the mid-1970s, when starvation brought on by the genocidal Khmer Rouge regime left people with little other options for survival.

Starvation, along with executions and overwork, resulted in the death of about two million people from 1975-79.

Despite this grim history, spiders are considered to be a delicacy today and sold in markets and restaurants across Cambodia.

While tarantulas are reportedly eaten in Thailand, Papua New Guinea, and parts of India and Venezuela, their widespread popularity in Cambodia is unique. In addition to being rich in protein, folic acid and zinc, they are believed to have medicinal properties.

However, heavy deforestation throughout the country may mean an end to this practice - and tarantulas themselves.
There's nothing quite like seeing a couple of 2 year old kids chewing their way through a tarantula . ;)
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

I haven't tried spiders yet. I will try it one day. :)

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Soumy Phan wrote:Eating spiders became widespread in the 1970s amid starvation brought on by the genocidal Khmer Rouge regime...
So the story goes, but I doubt it. Usually when this story is told they say it about all insect eating in Cambodia, not just spiders. Regardless, it doesn't explain why the Thais right next door also eat insects and arachnids, whichever insects and arachnids. I think like many things that some consider embarrassing or wrong with Cambodia/Cambodians, especially by the elite classes, it is attributed to the KR as a way of mitigating the embarrassment. Prawns in a sarong.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

LTO wrote:
Soumy Phan wrote:Eating spiders became widespread in the 1970s amid starvation brought on by the genocidal Khmer Rouge regime...
I think like many things that some consider embarrassing or wrong with Cambodia/Cambodians, especially by the elite classes, it is attributed to the KR as a way of mitigating the embarrassment.
Can you tell me what are those things?

frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

he means rich Khmer people are embarrassed by eating bugs so they blame it on khmer rouge and pretend it is something new.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

frank lee bent wrote:he means rich Khmer people are embarrassed by eating bugs so they blame it on khmer rouge and pretend it is something new.
Thanks. I think I have interpreted it wrongly. :)

JBTrain
Expatriate

Post by JBTrain »

LTO wrote:
So the story goes, but I doubt it. Usually when this story is told they say it about all insect eating in Cambodia, not just spiders. Regardless, it doesn't explain why the Thais right next door also eat insects and arachnids, whichever insects and arachnids. I think like many things that some consider embarrassing or wrong with Cambodia/Cambodians, especially by the elite classes, it is attributed to the KR as a way of mitigating the embarrassment. Prawns in a sarong.
I agree, I think mostly nonsense. Taiwanese crickets, Viet and Korean silkworm pupae, who doesn't like a good bug.
Using Tapatalk
Mr Curious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mr Curious »

not sure deforestation will "bug" em that much, the ones they eat ground burrowing spiders. Hit Skoun for a munch.
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

Soumy Phan wrote:
frank lee bent wrote:he means rich Khmer people are embarrassed by eating bugs so they blame it on khmer rouge and pretend it is something new.
Thanks. I think I have interpreted it wrongly. :)
Yes, that is what I meant. I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic