Trainers for the fatherland

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Trainers for the fatherland

Post by taabarang »

I just learned from my kids at lunch today that they will soon be required to attend school in white trainers on Mondays and Fridays. On those days the students gather around the flag pole as the flag is being raised and sing the national anthem. Flip flops are out so there will be a run on used "de rigueur" footgear. An expense which poor farming families do not need.

So moms and dads is this happening in your neck of the woods in the K of W? More specifically is this from the Ministry of Education or is this a local brainstorm started by a fashion guru or a politico who finds flip flops subversive?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Trainers for the fatherland

Post by Anchor Moy »

There's an old thread here about a school (or university ?) where they burnt all the students' flip flops if I remember right. No idea why. Too "poor-looking' I think.

Do the schools usually make the kids sing the national anthem or is this new ?
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Do the schools usually make the kids sing the national anthem or is this new ?"

Certainly not new, my wife did it after the KR period and my kids have done it since first grade.
Last edited by taabarang on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

taabarang wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:16 pm I just learned from my kids at lunch today that they will soon be required to attend school in white trainers on Mondays and Fridays.
Wearing white trainers on muddy tracks and in soggy school yards is not much of a plan.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"There's an old thread here about a school (or university ?) where they burnt all the students' flip flops if I remember right. No idea why. Too "poor-looking' I think."

I'm reasonably certain this is the trip down memory lane you were referring to,

https://cambodiaexpatsonline.com/post138 ... lit=burned flip flops#p138061

Plus those are going to be some smelly shoes and feet.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

taabarang wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:16 pm I just learned from my kids at lunch today that they will soon be required to attend school in white trainers on Mondays and Fridays. On those days the students gather around the flag pole as the flag is being raised and sing the national anthem. Flip flops are out so there will be a run on used "de rigueur" footgear. An expense which poor farming families do not need.

So moms and dads is this happening in your neck of the woods in the K of W? More specifically is this from the Ministry of Education or is this a local brainstorm started by a fashion guru or a politico who finds flip flops subversive?

OK. I just duck ducked go ''white trainers'', & you are right . Stupid idea hatched by a greedy local afuk.

Or a local afficianado who just found a container of ''white trainers'' that fell off the truck.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Fuck a duck any other parents out there been told to buy some white sneakers?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

taabarang wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:00 pm Fuck a duck any other parents out there been told to buy some white sneakers?
If it's to start this Friday, I'll probably be told on Friday morning.
If it starts next Monday, then I'll be told at 8 PM Sunday night.

And, sorry, but I'm not going to ask as it will be a signal to my wife that buying white trainers for the kids is a great idea, we should do that. As well as buy some . . . .
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Thanks for that UT. My kids have further informed me there's a grace period of two weeks, at least locally. Sounds like a decree from kaa souang aprum. Do you agree?
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

I can't really agree with anything because I don't know and haven't inquired about it. Read my post again, the first 2 sentences start with 'If'.
Meaning that I cannot confirm what you've been told.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic