A question for Jamie or

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

A question for Jamie or

Post by taabarang »

anyone else like thelost who can answer. What is the meaning of "sloy" in bek sloy. I know it's a dance style but I was wondering if it was related to what dancers and martial artists call " broken rhythm." I practiced boxing, Hawaiian Kempo and escrima for over 30 years. I had horrible footwork but it was my strongest advantage. The rhythm of a fighter is easy to get inside of when it is predictable. With broken rhythm not even the one who has it knows what he will do next. But enough extraneous biographical detail. What does"sloy" mean?
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: A question for Jamie or

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

they call the dancing bek sloy, but bek sloy has its own meaning, its associated with being "Fucked in the head"... your head is broken and crazy...
they associate it with their dancing because theyre dancing is very crazy style

បែក ( adj ) [baek]
to be broken, cracked; to have a broken ... (e.g. limb);
ស្លុយ ( adj ) [sloy]
to be bold, courageous, willing to take risks, resolute; foolhardy; unperturbed

but yeah i agree with you, regards to an unorthodox fighter, they are the hardest people to fight, my most favourite unorthodox fighter is actually nicknamed "the drunken master"

but another great example being one of my all time favourites prince naseem hamed
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Thanks for that Jamie and for the clips too. I've never heard sloy used before. Here the locals say
klahan(courageous). Live and learn.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
thelost
Expatriate

Post by thelost »

I have never seen this phrase before and jamie has this down.

"baek" បែក​ to me, sounds like something has burst. pop/bang. like a car wheel has burst and now is broken. in regards to limbs that you see in the traffic accidents, it means that you could see the meat/organ stuff from the limbs, exposed, for example "baek kbal" បែកក្បាល , you can see the brain and stuff. it's different from "dach" which means the limb has been separated.

"sloy" ស្លុយ according to the dictionary i've read, feels like something that is brave and stupid at the same time. kind of like an idiot who did not think ahead, just rush into dangerous situation without considering anything beforehand i.e. running across the minefield to the other side or something.

put it together, i guess it's kind of like saying stupidity/crazy has exploded i.e. fucked in the head like jamie said.

i've heard of "glahaan" ក្លាហាន which is similar to "sloy" but i think the difference between them is that glahaan is used when a person is courageous in the face of danger, brave and not giving into fear, have to do something which is scary but it must be done.
"sloy" is probably used for someone who is just plain stupid without any regards for consequences doing foolhardy things.

i could be wrong. taabarang, maybe you could consult your wife to ascertain the difference between these two words?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Indeed, I never heard it referring to a dance myself. Only to say someone is crazy (usually used in a humorous way).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic