khmer help

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Jlucas
Expatriate
Canada

khmer help

Post by Jlucas »

can someone please explain the difference between bat/ja and "nung hi"

thank you
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Australia

Re: khmer help

Post by Born-Confused »

bat / ja means yes
Nungai - a bit like "that's right"
Jlucas
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Jlucas »

perfect thank you !
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Jlucas wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:45 am can someone please explain the difference between bat/ja and "nung hi"

thank you
Bat - to stop

Baaat - yes, ok, general assent - also use baan as agreement

ja - how women, gays and ladyboys say "yes" - feminine version

Neung hai - "all the same" basically a figure of speech
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Stop is usually ‘chop’

‘Bat’ means turn, followed by left or right.

Please correct me if this is incorrect.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

newkidontheblock wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:18 am Stop is usually ‘chop’

Correct
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
khmerhamster
Expatriate
Turkmenistan

Post by khmerhamster »

violet wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:26 am

Correct
Not quite. Though transliteration of Khmer words in Roman script leads to loads of errors with similarity spelt but different words
‘Bat’ could reasonably be understood as yes or stop (end). I’d say turn would be more like ‘but’ - but Latin script is not ideal for Khmer words.

‘Chop’ and ‘bat’ (and one more ‘leng’) are different but have similar meanings but used in different contexts.
Foreigners with limited Khmer use ‘chop’ for everything which can be understood but isn’t normal usage.
It doesn’t stop them trying to tell others what is right and wrong though :lol:
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

khmerhamster wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:09 am

Correct
Not quite. Though transliteration of Khmer words in Roman script leads to loads of errors with similarity spelt but different words
‘Bat’ could reasonably be understood as yes or stop (end). I’d say turn would be more like ‘but’ - but Latin script is not ideal for Khmer words.

‘Chop’ and ‘bat’ (and one more ‘leng’) are different but have similar meanings but used in different contexts.
Foreigners with limited Khmer use ‘chop’ for everything which can be understood but isn’t normal usage.
Fair enough - transliteration- accent of person too means I can read bat and know how I pronounce it, but that doesn’t mean another person reading bat would pronounce it the way I (or a Khmer native speaker) pronounces it.

I would use chop in a tuk tuk. Is that correct or incorrect
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

violet wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:30 am

Correct

Fair enough - transliteration- accent of person too means I can read bat and know how I pronounce it, but that doesn’t mean another person reading bat would pronounce it the way I (or a Khmer native speaker) pronounces it.

In a tuk it's fine.

But, for example, asking someone what time they finish work you wouldn't say "Bong chup twokaaa maon maan" but rather "Bong bat twoo maon mann"

Turn off a light "bat pluen" close door "bat schwia" close your ears "bat twieer" yadda yadda yadda
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:35 am
violet wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:30 am

Correct

In a tuk it's fine.

But, for example, asking someone what time they finish work you wouldn't say "Bong chup twokaaa maon maan" but rather "Bong bat twoo maon mann"

Turn off a light "bat pluen" close door "bat schwia" close your ears "bat twieer" yadda yadda yadda
Oh I remember turn off a light now. And close the door has also just been remembered now you mention it. So it’s closer to close than to stop (bat)?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic