Kampuchea - "Kamma-pūjā" ("By own effort of sacrifices obtained")

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Samana Johann
Expatriate
Cambodia

Kampuchea - "Kamma-pūjā" ("By own effort of sacrifices obtained")

Post by Samana Johann »

Less might be familar of the meaning of Kampuchea, depriving from the counry north-east of Maghada, Kamboja, mentioned already before and at the times of the Sublime Buddha. The people of Kamboja/Kampuchea had been praied for the faith in Kamma, cause and effect, and Kamoja was known (likewise in the younger history of todays Kampuchea) as "the land where a slave can become King and a King become slave". Many folk stories report that becoming King was not always a matter of blood relation or wealth. Even today this notion of the still most rightly liberal nation can daily be traced and seen.

Till today this faith in: 1. Actions, deeds (by body, words, thoughts) have effects for one, 2. Good/skillful/harmless deeds lead to happiness and bad deeds to painful results, 3. That there are ways to liberation (heavens and beyound), is base of a society which works on voluntary generation, on voluntary giving and abstaining from wrong at large.

It's actually the antique 'land of liberality (giving)' and build upon 'pride' in good deeds. May many, instead of falling into modern strong wrong view, claiming rights, instead learn from the richness of being able to 'simply' give and firm trust in higher, and that it can be obtained by skilful deeds: Khema (land, person at secure, at peace), Khmer, or as people not so familar with higher would simply call it proper: Land of wonder, in a world having lost connection to Gods, Devas, Sublime and beyond.

Even at the Buddhas time that Kamboja was avoided by "lazy" and people not so eager in doing an effort.

May it be an inspiration for good ways and interest to get old cultures understand, of which isn't easy when caught in the most dangerous conceit "Equal am I".

"Do good: get good." (important, of couse, to know what is good and what bad) and "I am hire of my actions (kamma)".

It's because of the deep meaning of "Khmer" that one is blessed if doing efforts to become real Khmer (khema), obtainable by skilful deeds and reaching thereby the Noble path.

Just 'food' for possible nourishing good thoughts and liberating joy, reflecting on great.
Singapore Slinger
Expatriate
Singapore

Re: Kampuchea - "Kamma-pūjā" ("By own effort of sacrifices obtained")

Post by Singapore Slinger »

The late King of Thailand Bhumibol who I wasn't a great fan of had a saying "Por Piyang" meaning "Take Only What You Need",a little ironic for the wealthiest ruler on the Planet Earth?
Samana Johann
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Kampuchea - "Kamma-pūjā" ("By own effort of sacrifices obtained")

Post by Samana Johann »

Singapore Slinger wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:46 pm The late King of Thailand Bhumibol who I wasn't a great fan of had a saying "Por Piyang" meaning "Take Only What You Need",a little ironic for the wealthiest ruler on the Planet Earth?
Good householder,
Atma, my person, isn't so aware of the good King's way of thinking and virtues. Good maybe to change "take" with "receive given" and to be clear what's really needed, since who does not just take what he thinks he needs? But maybe it's a 'bad' translation, and the original transports such already.

But there was a grateful talk by Bhante Thanissaro, as just remembering: Lessons from the King, by Bhante Thanissaro in merits of his done merits.

Seemingly a little like worlds last Dhamma-King (a grwst King devoted toward the Tripple Gems and taking on good condcts), that of this very land of wonders, sure unique, as well as the more worldly good co-leaders.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic