What sort of veggies will I have the best luck with?

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
giblet
Expatriate

What sort of veggies will I have the best luck with?

Post by giblet »

I'm just back from a holiday in the US and a plant store offered me 35 free packets of seeds because their growing season was over and they weren't going to sell them. I'm guessing the best time to grow these will be after the rain stops, but I'm not sure what types of non-local vegetables would survive here. I have seeds for corn, peppers, spinach, tomatoes, beets, radishes, lettuce, beans, spring onions and several types of herbs. Of these, which would be most likely to survive here? Any suggestions would be appreciated as I don't have a lot of experience growing vegetables.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Re: What sort of veggies will I have the best luck with?

Post by Soi Dog »

giblet wrote: Any suggestions would be appreciated as I don't have a lot of experience growing vegetables.
I'm pretty sure the herbs should do well. The things that grow underground (radishes, beets) might have the toughest time in Cambodia. The leafy veggies (lettuce, spinach) might be difficult too. They will need lots of attention and maybe even partial shade, plus protection from animals.

How did your flock cope with your absence?
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

Thanks! I think the corn, green beans and herbs will have the best chances. I need to figure out what I can grow in the ground or raised beds and what I need to keep to containers.

The flock survived. We had some very nice housesitters who spoiled them as much as we do, so I think they weren't too traumatized.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Everything but spinach and maybe beetroot, but a friend of mine has done ok with beets in kampot. Some shadecloth would be a real big help.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

frank lee bent wrote:Everything but spinach and maybe beetroot, but a friend of mine has done ok with beets in kampot. Some shadecloth would be a real big help.
Why wouldn't spinach work here? And any idea which varieties of tomatoes would have the best luck?

I tried to buy shadecloth at my regular garden shop and she was only able to get huge quantities, $50 minimum, which seems sort of ridiculous, no?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Giblet, let us know how you get on - I think the tomatoes might get mildew from the humidity? (My experience with wet European summers.) Anyway, I would try a variety that is hardy and not too delicate and prone to disease.
I have some capsicum seeds that I will plant soon. And melon too - we'll see.
Good luck - and don't forget to protect everything from your watchdogs.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

spinach likes a cold climate
teh big determinate style tomatoes also do not like too much heat- cherries handle it better.
AM is right- blossom end rot is the problem.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I've got some pumpkin seeds. Quite a small and sweet variety. Any ideas on whether they will grow in the highlands here ? Rattanakiri ?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

should do well now the rain is ending.
Sailorman
Expatriate

Post by Sailorman »

Mexican peppers last year grew very well. My horseradish was going good until the caterpillars eat them all. American corn got one foot tall and died. I'm going to try and grow hops as I make beer. Beefsteak tomato seed from America grew a little than died.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic