Business is Booming for Cambodian Rat Farmer

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Business is Booming for Cambodian Rat Farmer

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodian farmer says raising rats for food has boosted his family’s income
Muy Chameroun has elevated his family’s standard of living – and wants to export rats.
By RFA Khmer
Cambodian farmer says raising rats for food has boosted his family’s income Rat farmer Muy Chamroeun pats a rat at his farm in western Cambodia’s Battambang province, Sept. 14, 2023.

The rats squeak as Muy Chameroun nears their cages to feed them foods like corn, rice, potatoes, grass and anything else that is healthy for them..

But these rats number more than 100 and they are not his pets. Muy Chameroun is a farmer, and he is raising the rats as food.

Rats are not only consumed in Cambodia, but also in other countries in the region, including Thailand, China, and India.

From his small farm in Kdol Tahen commune, Bavel district, in the western province of Battambang, Muy Chamroeun breeds and raises a type of rat that he imported from Thailand.

He used to work in the construction industry in neighboring Thailand, but found that he could make more money raising the rodents that he has fond memories of eating in his childhood.

In the four years he has been raising rats, Muy Chamroeun has been able to lift his family’s standard of living. The business has allowed him to save 2 to 2.4 million riel (US$486-583) per month.

Other farmers in the area are foregoing swine and cattle to try to get in on the rat racket, and Muy Chamroen sells them adults from his mischief to help them get started. He has also set up a Facebook page called Sovanrachna Rat Farm to share tips on raising, feeding and upkeep.
Article in full: https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambod ... 61108.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Business is Booming for Cambodian Rat Farmer

Post by Spigzy »

Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:11 pm Image
If you are raised in an environment where its perfectly normal to eat rat..why not. They are even fed with good stuff. Every culture has some dishes that another ones deems uneatable I guess. There is a quite a number of italian dishes I would not dare to try.

"casu marzu" a gourmet chees from the Island of Sardinia

work is for people who cant find truffles
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

truffledog wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:21 pm If you are raised in an environment where its perfectly normal to eat rat..why not. They are even fed with good stuff. Every culture has some dishes that another ones deems uneatable I guess.
Right. There's a big difference between eating field rats and sewer rats.
Roryborealis
Expatriate

Post by Roryborealis »

I wonder if the meat tastes like Peru guinea pig (cuy).
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I won't be a customer, but good for him.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

truffledog wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:21 pm
Spigzy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:11 pm Image
If you are raised in an environment where its perfectly normal to eat rat..why not. They are even fed with good stuff. Every culture has some dishes that another ones deems uneatable I guess. There is a quite a number of italian dishes I would not dare to try.

"casu marzu" a gourmet chees from the Island of Sardinia

I have eaten rat, among other things, in Cambodia - gotta try everything at least once, even durian! :D
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

He’s better off than me. I can’t save that much per month. Cost of living is blurgh in my location.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:06 pm Cambodian farmer says raising rats for food has boosted his family’s income
Muy Chameroun has elevated his family’s standard of living – and wants to export rats.
By RFA Khmer
Cambodian farmer says raising rats for food has boosted his family’s income Rat farmer Muy Chamroeun pats a rat at his farm in western Cambodia’s Battambang province, Sept. 14, 2023.

The rats squeak as Muy Chameroun nears their cages to feed them foods like corn, rice, potatoes, grass and anything else that is healthy for them..

But these rats number more than 100 and they are not his pets. Muy Chameroun is a farmer, and he is raising the rats as food.

Rats are not only consumed in Cambodia, but also in other countries in the region, including Thailand, China, and India.

From his small farm in Kdol Tahen commune, Bavel district, in the western province of Battambang, Muy Chamroeun breeds and raises a type of rat that he imported from Thailand.

He used to work in the construction industry in neighboring Thailand, but found that he could make more money raising the rodents that he has fond memories of eating in his childhood.

In the four years he has been raising rats, Muy Chamroeun has been able to lift his family’s standard of living. The business has allowed him to save 2 to 2.4 million riel (US$486-583) per month.

Other farmers in the area are foregoing swine and cattle to try to get in on the rat racket, and Muy Chamroen sells them adults from his mischief to help them get started. He has also set up a Facebook page called Sovanrachna Rat Farm to share tips on raising, feeding and upkeep.
Article in full: https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambod ... 61108.html
The rice field rats seem to be a lot closer to Guinea pig rodents than sewer rats
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

That’s a big rat. What species would it be?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic