Well digging cost factors

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
Luigi
Expatriate

Well digging cost factors

Post by Luigi »

What might one expect to pay for digging a well in & around Kampot? Priced by foot or soil structure? Both? More factors?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Well digging cost factors

Post by Kammekor »

Luigi wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:18 am What might one expect to pay for digging a well in & around Kampot? Priced by foot or soil structure? Both? More factors?
In the Northeast the price is 250-275 USD for a 25-28 meter deep well (rock at about 30 meter), half for the workers if they hit bedrock before reaching that. Make sure you inform about the local situation before starting to dig. If you are inexperienced the diggers might try to make you believe the compact white soil they will meet at about 10-12 meter is rock - usually it isn't, but it becomes a lot harder to dig at that point.

Think about the location of your well. Dirty water from latrines close by might seep into your well water - spoiling it. By close i don't mean 1 or two meters, but a lot more. Look at how the water runs on the land an hope the structure below is more or less the same you can predict where the dirty water from the latrines will go.

Finally - consider drilling one. More expensive, but far more reliable than a dug well which tends to run dry in april-may if there are a lot of wells around.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Thank you. I had meant to write drilling.
Curious; is the white compact soil made of clay?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Luigi wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:48 am Thank you. I had meant to write drilling.
Basically the compact soil can be anything, clay, sand, etc.

About drilling, the price will depend on two things:

- How many 'drillers' offer their service in your area.
- How deep is the solid rock.

where I live there used to be one company in the entire province offering drilling, they drill 70-90 meter deep and 40-60 meter of that is sold rock. Drilling takes about 7-8 hours. Price used to be 1.800 USD including a pump, piping and electrical wiring. Recently new companies entered the market and the prices dropped a bit. But I know in other provinces sometimes they drill just soil and it takes 2 hours, and the drilling head can be used for ages. Prices there are 300-400 I heard, but can not confirm first hand, and not sure if a pump is included. A good pump will set you back a few hundred USD. Also consider most pumps won't fit your well, they will only drill about 120 mm in diameter.
Luigi
Expatriate

Post by Luigi »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:22 pm
Luigi wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:48 am Thank you. I had meant to write drilling.
Basically the compact soil can be anything, clay, sand, etc.

About drilling, the price will depend on two things:

- How many 'drillers' offer their service in your area.
- How deep is the solid rock.

where I live there used to be one company in the entire province offering drilling, they drill 70-90 meter deep and 40-60 meter of that is sold rock. Drilling takes about 7-8 hours. Price used to be 1.800 USD including a pump, piping and electrical wiring. Recently new companies entered the market and the prices dropped a bit. But I know in other provinces sometimes they drill just soil and it takes 2 hours, and the drilling head can be used for ages. Prices there are 300-400 I heard, but can not confirm first hand, and not sure if a pump is included. A good pump will set you back a few hundred USD. Also consider most pumps won't fit your well, they will only drill about 120 mm in diameter.
Great & helpful info. Much to consider. :hattip:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic