Raised beds and soil

Provincial living: homesteading, farming, gardening, self-efficiency and animal husbandry.
giblet
Expatriate

Raised beds and soil

Post by giblet »

My garden appears to be inhospitable terrain, but I'm determined to conquer it. I'm thinking of making some raised beds. Anyone done this? Any tips?

Once I make them, I have no idea what to put in them. The dirt here is clay and sand. Can I buy something better?
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Re: Raised beds and soil

Post by Milord »

I thought raised beds were for cooler climates. Manure and straw make good fillers. more straw between rows blocks the weeds.
Check out MotherEarthNews.
Master Cylinder
Tourist

Post by Master Cylinder »

raised beds are for all types of climates... particularly hot ones, or plants that like good air flow and drainage.
i have used bricks.. cheap. going about 5 rows high and turning out some of the bricks to allow for air flow.
what you then fill it with is obviously important. try huskcambodia.org. they are up there in siem reap.
another option is to just through down a bunch of branches, logs and stuff and cover with dirt.
after the rainy season put in your starter plants.
ask around after the rice has gone in. lots of folks have cow manure they will sell you. not now though as they use it to spice up the rice fields.
get some worms going too... especially in the raised beds.
seems you can pick your friends noses.... it's just gross.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

Master Cylinder wrote:raised beds are for all types of climates... particularly hot ones, or plants that like good air flow and drainage.
i have used bricks.. cheap. going about 5 rows high and turning out some of the bricks to allow for air flow.
what you then fill it with is obviously important. try huskcambodia.org. they are up there in siem reap.
another option is to just through down a bunch of branches, logs and stuff and cover with dirt.
after the rainy season put in your starter plants.
ask around after the rice has gone in. lots of folks have cow manure they will sell you. not now though as they use it to spice up the rice fields.
get some worms going too... especially in the raised beds.
Thanks, great advice! 5 rows of bricks seems high to me, does it need to be that tall? And do you cement the bricks, or just stack them? I just want to grow herbs but I am going to try and get them started now. I don't want to wait until after rainy season. Bad idea? I thought doing a raised bed would help with the drainage.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

Also, what can/should I get from huskcambodia?
Master Cylinder
Tourist

Post by Master Cylinder »

since you where not specific on what it is you are trying too grow... i suggested 5 bricks as a nice planter size suitable for growning many things.
if you where groing potatoes or peanuts i would have suggested stacking up old tires.
since you are attempting to grow herbs in the rainy season i would say get some flower pots and fill them compost and put them in a sunny spot.
seems you can pick your friends noses.... it's just gross.
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

This is my first time gardening with enough space to actually garden in Cambodia, so I'd appreciate any suggestions you can offer. Herbs are my priority, but I'd be interested in growing any other edibles that would thrive in this climate. Can I grow anything in rainy season other than rice?

I also just planted a few cashew trees which I hear grow like weeds. I'd love to get some limes or lemons going, too.
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

giblet wrote:I also just planted a few cashew trees which I hear grow like weeds. I'd love to get some limes or lemons going, too.
You're aware how large cashew trees grow, right?
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
giblet
Expatriate

Post by giblet »

StroppyChops wrote:You're aware how large cashew trees grow, right?
Vaguely...
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Gardening in the tropics is a lot different to gardening back home. (Your home or my home it doesn't matter).

Forget about the raised beds and formality of the average western vege patch.

Just break the soil throw in some seeds and breath on them. Ok, just add water. They'll grow.
Basil, chilies, lemongrass, tomatoes, . . . .they'll grow.
Buy a bag of guano from a plant shop and sprinkle some around your herbs. Water them daily. They'll grow.

Plants love rain water, so if you can save that and use that to water them, they will love you forever. (I promise).

:beer:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic