The cheapest places to buy citizenship.

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
UKJ
Expatriate

The cheapest places to buy citizenship.

Post by UKJ »

I saw this on today' s BBC news page. No mention of Cambodia. How much is it to buy citizenship there? Or can you not buy it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27674135
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: The cheapest places to buy citizenship.

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Was 30k a few years back and a lot of places could do it. Probably 50k now with fewer outfits able to provide the "service".
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

Would anyone want Cambodian citizenship? Do you yearn for the right to have your property stolen?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

a good site to look at, http://www.escapeartist.com/live/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
FreeSocrates!
Expatriate
Canada

Post by FreeSocrates! »

If you get Citizenship here, does that mean you get no rights and if you protest or argue they will beat you?

I don't see why anyone from a Developed Country would want to have a Cambodian Citizenship. Even if you were doing it for criminal reasons, there is still a chance the government would sell you out.
The cedar roasted asparagus has good chew. I don't know how to enjoy it, so I'll Instagram it instead.
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

Property ownership.

And getting into Angkor wat free!

And, if you have a family here, no chance of them just refusing your visa renewal or changing how visas work (like Thailand just did) and forcing you to be separated from them. On top of that, saving $X on visas every year would eventually pay for it. This is the principle reason I'm putting money aside for it. The idea that a small change to the visa/immigration laws would force my wife and I to relocate away from her family... not cool.
clippy
Expatriate

Post by clippy »

if and when the ASEAN becomes like EU and citizens of cambodia can live and work anywhere across ASEAN, it will be VERY nice to have citizenship here

its a few years off, but will probably happen eventually
OrangeDragon
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by OrangeDragon »

clippy wrote:if and when the ASEAN becomes like EU and citizens of cambodia can live and work anywhere across ASEAN, it will be VERY nice to have citizenship here

its a few years off, but will probably happen eventually
Great point, one I hadn't really thought of. I imagine when that happens the price (and value) will go up drastically... might be good to get in now.

I really like the idea of having both... as both citizenships have value in different places.
taranis
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by taranis »

404 Not Found
Last edited by taranis on Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
God Forgives. I don't!
LTO
Expatriate

Post by LTO »

UKJ wrote:I saw this on today' s BBC news page. No mention of Cambodia. How much is it to buy citizenship there?...
Depends to a degree on just how undesirable you are.
LTO Cambodia Blog

"Kafka is 'outdone' in our country, the new fatherland of Angkor" - Norodom Sihanouk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic