Is Cambodia following Thailand in regards to Farangs

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Is Cambodia following Thailand in regards to Farangs

Post by phuketrichard »

Just asking;
in the past few years
business visas/wps tightened up
Now property owners need register farangs, (over here its the TM30 BS)

How long til they start asking for money in the bank for retiree's ? (I hope never)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ned kelly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Is Cambodia following Thailand in regards to Farangs

Post by ned kelly »

Registering Barangs is not new,its been a law for years that we are registered with the local Sangat.
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

is the tightening just aimed at Barangs specifically? I was under the impression it was all foreigners and the most noise seemed to be coming from other ethnic groups.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior Sar Kheng has instructed owners of residences throughout the Kingdom to report the presence of all foreign tenants.

In a letter dated Friday, Sar Kheng said the ministry had noticed that many residence owners had failed to duly fulfil their obligations as stated by existing laws and regulations.

https://m.phnompenhpost.com/national/pr ... XvPevQT_54

So ur saying every farang needs to register? I never knew that
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:31 am Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior Sar Kheng has instructed owners of residences throughout the Kingdom to report the presence of all foreign tenants.

In a letter dated Friday, Sar Kheng said the ministry had noticed that many residence owners had failed to duly fulfil their obligations as stated by existing laws and regulations.

Every foreigner living in Cambodia must make his/her presence known with either the village chief or the sangkat. Has been the case for years. Even in my remote village the village chief asked me to do so about three years ago, so def. nothing new here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

An addition, first time the immigration police came to my house to check for my visa must been even longer ago, I guess about four years. Ever since I bring them a copy of my new visa once a year when I have a new one, so they've never been back. In return they pointed out I really needed a WP last year and 'helped' me getting one, when that became an issue which could no longer be ignored even in Remote Cambodia.
Soriya
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Soriya »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:52 am
phuketrichard wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:31 am Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Interior Sar Kheng has instructed owners of residences throughout the Kingdom to report the presence of all foreign tenants.

Every foreigner living in Cambodia must make his/her presence known with either the village chief or the sangkat. Has been the case for years. Even in my remote village the village chief asked me to do so about three years ago, so def. nothing new here.

when i went to visit the girlfriends family in the province recently, soon as i got there her father went and told the local sangkat i was staying there for a short time.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I asked the local police why I needed to be registered they said the Big Man wanted them to look after me
That's reassuring
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Isaanbarang »

The same guys that bitch about complying with immigration laws bitch about their home country's being overrun by illegal aliens.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

This has been law since 1997.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic