Car battery charger

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
walkjivefly
Expatriate
Great Britain

Car battery charger

Post by walkjivefly »

Has anyone got one I could borrow overnight? Only need to charge a small moto battery.
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Re: Car battery charger

Post by AE86 »

There are some places that charge moto batteries for a few thousand riel. Since street shops change all the time I don't have a recommendation where, but I've used one before when my e-start only scooter battery when flat once because of a kick stand issue. 30 minutes and the battery was charged (enough to give a good start for the bike), 3000 riel. Most car shops have a battery charger too I believe. If you charge it, don't charge higher than 5 amps ish or you can further cook the battery.
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

Yes mate.

Edit: As per Akira's post, careful with those roadside places, very high risk of cooking your battery as they will hook it up inline with an array of truck batteries and charge it too quickly.
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Advocatus Diaboli
Expatriate

Post by Advocatus Diaboli »

You'd better buy a new battery.........just $ 13 - 15 I guess. These batteries never last for too long and recharging to my knowledge doesn't do anything good.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Threads like this make me appreciate the battery-less Baja.
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
AE86
Expatriate
Japan

Post by AE86 »

Until you have an injured leg like me and need to kick it over, ;) I was always an e-start fan because anything bigger than a 250 tended to catapult me off the bike if it kicked back. The joys of being Asian sized.

I think the problem with the batteries here isn't the quality of the battery itself, but rather the maintenance standards of the people selling them, and then the bikes themselves. Sometimes sellers keep them on the shelf a long time without charging them, and then the bikes themselves need to be revved at least over 4500 rpm (50-125cc manual shift) to provide a decent charge (in my experience) to get a battery to full, so unless you're constantly out on big roads for extended periods of time, the battery is always going to be held at a lower state of charge than is good for it.

Case in point, I just replaced the battery in my Honda in the states before I came back (4 banger CB) and that was 4 years old. In Cambodia though I seemed to be able to go through a battery every 10-12 months with my manual bikes, but the automatics seemed to last a lot longer (always held to a higher rpm). Not sure, just thinking to myself.
-insert signature here
StroppyChops
The Missionary Man
Australia

Post by StroppyChops »

AE86 wrote:I was always an e-start fan because anything bigger than a 250 tended to catapult me off the bike if it kicked back. The joys of being Asian sized.
Heh! It's raining Japanese!
Bodge: This ain't Kansas, and the neighbours ate Toto!
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

I would get 3 phone chargers (5 volts) and wire them together for 15 volts with alligator clips. Or cut up surplus USB cables to connect.

Output would not exceed 1/2 to 1 amp. Owning a volt meter would make this safer.

A multimeter would allow you to monitor the output.

A Desktop PC or laptop power supply may also also work. Check with a meter.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

Milord wrote:A Desktop PC or laptop power supply may also also work. Check with a meter.
32 or 64 bit OS?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Milord
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Milord »

All DC, baby. Just DC juice. Be careful though, a PC desktop can supply 40 Amps! =@
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic